Wedding Cake With Mini Dog Decorations!!! Help?!!!

Decorating By purpleluna7 Updated 16 Aug 2013 , 5:44pm by purpleluna7

purpleluna7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
purpleluna7 Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 6:04am
post #1 of 9

AFor my first official wedding cake I was asked to make a three tier wedding cake with fondant and incorporate mini replicas of their 5 dogs and then two mini lawn chairs as toppers. There is also a mini dog house. They left me to be the creative one but I have no clue how to make it wedding appropriate (pretty etc...) And unique to them as well...any ideas??? I did think of maybe a tree that climbs the three tiers and the dogs placed near the tree and around the tiers but I don't feel like it will end up well!!!

8 replies
scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 6:20am
post #2 of 9

Are there any other specifications for the cake? Flowers, colours, borders, etc?

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 6:49am
post #3 of 9

I love my doggies too (yep they were at my wedding - lol bow tie and top hat for the boys, fairy wings for the girl) so I can understand this. Perhaps you can have them on a picnic rug in a beautiful garden, two chairs a little table set up for a picnic, wine glasses, cheese platter? If they want the dogs names you could perhaps make them all little bowls with a name tag on each bowl.

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 6:58am
post #4 of 9

AWhite picket fence and flowers? [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3078941/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3078942/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Like maybe a mixture of this with the doggies on the sides of the tiers next to the fencw with less flowers and then the chairs on top?

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 9:45am
post #5 of 9

How are you with sculpting? If there is no other criteria as far as design goes, I would probably keep the cake itself very simple. I kind of like the idea of it looking like tiny dogs took over an otherwise traditional wedding cake.

All white, maybe just quilted on the sides with a simple white border, so it looks 'weddingish'. Then use the dogs to make it playful.

I would probably do the two lawn chairs on top, have one dog curled up asleep in one, another standing up on the side like he's about to jump op onto it. Maybe one just sitting to the side.

Then I would have one on the cake board, standing up on the side of the cake like he's trying to figure out how to get up there, and another on the first tier, looking down at him.

It's hard with a cake like this to not let the playfulness go to far, and have it suddenly become a birthday cake.

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 11:47am
post #6 of 9

This was one of my first wedding cakes and I did silhouette dogs around the tiers- maybe you could do the same with scenes of their dogs doing naughty things like chewing slippers, chasing each other... http://cakecentral.com/g/i/2400769/a/2401769

ericapraga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericapraga Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 1:05pm
post #7 of 9

I would combine all three of the suggestions so far. Make the lawn chairs (his and hers?), dog bowls and dog house on top as the topper, then have shilouttes of the dogs on the different tiers. Or make little sculpted dogs doing naughty things on each tier, that would be adorable! I also agree with keeping the base cake white with wedding-y type decoration-the quilting or nice piping.

audairymaid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audairymaid Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 1:29pm
post #8 of 9

I saw a pic of a very simple cake with little flowers and a dog figure sitting at the base with frosting on his nose. Might be cute to have each dog trying to "sample" the cake.

http://www.eleganceandsimplicity.com/blog/wedding-planning/jordan-jeremys-reception/

purpleluna7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
purpleluna7 Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 5:44pm
post #9 of 9

AOh my goodness you all are beyond awesome with you great ideas!!!! I'm going to incorporate it all and have three tiers the first with picket fencing around the base, the seond their flowers and grass and the third the fencing again. Along with a tree climbing up the side of the cake and the toppers with a dog on one and another jumping up and the other dogs staggered around the cake. I can't wait to get started!!!! Thanks so much everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%