Making Wedding Cake Andvattending Wedding

Decorating By NJsugarmama Updated 17 Sep 2013 , 9:33pm by CakesbyKadi

NJsugarmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NJsugarmama Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 1:00pm
post #1 of 14

AMy daughters' first babysitter is getting married in a month and I get the honor of making her cake. I'm really excited about the design, but this is my first wedding cake...and I'm invited, too.

I know about half of the 250 people invited, but I'm starting to think Ill just stay home. I'm not one for attention, I tend to be shy around large groups. Thinking about watching people's faces as they eat the cake and look at it is making me anxious.

Am I nuts? I have confidence in my ability, but I think if I see 1 person cringe while eating I will be devastated.

Please tell me I'm not alone. What would you do?

13 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 1:07pm
post #2 of 14

I remember the first cake I did for a relative where I also attended the wedding.   It was the groom's cake and was a HUGE to-do.   It got so much attention I was shaking my head in disbelief.  I did feel awkward and a little embarrassed from the attention...I mean I got A LOT of attention.   I wanted to hide.  I think especially when you know the crowd, as I did..people are just going to want to make a fuss.   Get ready ...smile and be graciously humble.  

NJsugarmama Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 2:37pm
post #3 of 14

AGreat advice. I'd love to be there to watch the ceremony...I just hate unwanted attention. I told the bride my concern and she said "it's just cake...it's not like I'm going to have a sign saying you made it." Sigh. Thanks for understanding.

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 4:30pm
post #4 of 14

AI think if its important to the bride and groom that you make the wedding cake then it is probably also important to them that you be there. If you are confident in your product then relax. There are rude people that will always criticize things at weddings. If they are really there to support the couple they wouldn't complain. The people who are rude are just there to find something to complain about. They probably look for things to complain about even if everything is great. So relax. Most people will probably just praise you. And anyone who is mean, is probably more about them and their attitude than anything you did.

dchinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchinda Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 5:05pm
post #5 of 14

I actually made the wedding & grooms cake for my mom's friend's step daughter's wedding. My mom & I also attended the wedding. I was so nervous since this was the first time I would attend the same wedding I made the cake for & I only new a handful of people. But we had a great time & it was rewarding to see the bride & groom & the wedding attendees enjoying all of my hard work.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 5:17pm
post #6 of 14

AAhhh heck man, I LOVE being at events where my cake is. Don't get to very often, but it's fun!

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 5:34pm
post #7 of 14

AAlso its very very humbling to see this showpiece of all your hard work and sweat and tears, be cut into many little pieces by the catering staff and just disappear.

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 5:40pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

Ahhh heck man, I LOVE being at events where my cake is. Don't get to very often, but it's fun!

me too, unless they ask me to cut the cake... no like.

NJsugarmama Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 6:07pm
post #9 of 14

AI have to go...as much as this introvert is trying to find a way out...I'll be so mad at myself for not going. They asked me to cut the cake, too...not digging that idea. It is going to be super humbling...I'm going to start practice my responses to praises so I don't sound too confident or humbled...or whatever other emotion decides to show up that day.

Thanks for all of your advice and thoughts...it has definitely put me at ease:)

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 7:38pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJsugarmama 

I have to go...as much as this introvert is trying to find a way out...I'll be so mad at myself for not going. They asked me to cut the cake, too...not digging that idea. It is going to be super humbling...I'm going to start practice my responses to praises so I don't sound too confident or humbled...or whatever other emotion decides to show up that day.

Thanks for all of your advice and thoughts...it has definitely put me at ease:)

You just smile and say thank you :)

Also, make sure you have a helper for the cake cutting, someone to handle the plates and such.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 7:54pm
post #11 of 14

Lady, that chevron baby shower cake is adorable, and your wedding cake WILL be drawing a lot of attention. Put your best dress on, a sassy shade of lipstick, and hold that head high and enjoy the compliments! 

NJsugarmama Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 9:06pm
post #12 of 14

AWow...thanks for the compliment and advice. You guys all rock!

NJsugarmama Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 9:23pm
post #13 of 14

So, the wedding went really well.  I was really happy with how everything came out despite being faced with a few curve balls.  But, I have to say I almost wet my pants when the bride and groom began slicing the TOP TIER!  I'm pretty confident the supports would have held up under even more pressure, but it still had me thinking...haven't these kids ever seen a wedding cake being cut?!?  I was too far away and too stunned to even say something. 

So note to self...advice future brides to cut the bottom tier.  It's these kind of things that I never would have thought to bring up.  Sarah's Stands blog has a little snippet of how to NOT cut a cake. 

http://sarahsstands.com/how-not-to-cut-your-wedding-cake/

Thanks again for all of your encouragement:)

Jill

CakesbyKadi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyKadi Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 9:33pm
post #14 of 14

I attended my nephews birthday party and I made his cake. I loved watching him dig into his own little smash cake I made him (he turned 1), but as soon as they began to cut into the big cake, I had a mini panic attack. Then I got over it and ate a piece. Everyone loved it, so it was worth it.

That being said, who knows if many people will even know you made it until later. I haven't been to many weddings, but "who made your cake" probably isn't a question many will ask the bride right away. But if it comes up in conversation later, you're definitely doing it right! =)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%