...for Those That Use Ganache Under Their Fondant....

Decorating By mystsparkle Updated 13 Aug 2013 , 1:03am by AZCouture

mystsparkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mystsparkle Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 11:45pm
post #1 of 4

Hi, I have a question:

For those that use ganache under fondant - Do you give your customers a choice, ganache or buttercream - or do you just go with what you know?

Im trying hard to get sharper edges when it comes to both buttercream cakes, and cakes with fondant - and it seems a lot of sites tell you to use ganache under fondant (altho everywhere I see is buttercream cakes with nice sharp edges too !! grrr) - so just wondering... Do you just do what you want, or always offer a choice?

Thanks!

3 replies
Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 12:07am
post #2 of 4

AFrom what I've seen ganache is used often outside the US. I think it's starting to pick up here (again just what I've noticed from my area and experience) but people are used to buttercream like the grocery store sells-it's what they know.

I always have ganache on hand (usually BC too lol) so whenever I have a consultation I add some ganache as an extra sample to try (usually these people haven't tasted my cakes-but I suppose that's obvious). Anyway, depending on the design they want I lead them from there. First and foremost, I want my customers satisfied, I don't want to sell them a cake that I love but something they'll love.

I explain that I can get sharper corners with ganache just as some designs need to be made with fondant or will look better in fondant, and they make their choices from there. Typically, they understand that I'm the professional, they came to me for a reason, so they take my advice seriously.

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 12:10am
post #3 of 4

AAs for the second part of your question, yes I've seen very sharp edges done with buttercream! CupADeeCakes comes to mind, she does amazing things with buttercream-cakes super smooth they look like fondant.

I think it just comes with confidence and practice (as well as a good BC recipe ;)

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 1:03am
post #4 of 4

AI don't even bother offering ganache. I only offer smbc, but if I need to make a mad hatter style, then I will only do ganache. I was taught the Planet Cake style for those, and I wouldn't even bother trying to attempt it with smbc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%