Mountain Cake?

Decorating By TheItalianBaker Updated 13 Aug 2013 , 3:48am by TheItalianBaker

TheItalianBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheItalianBaker Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 4:05pm
post #1 of 4

hi everybody!

Next week my husband will turn 29 and I'd like to make a cake for him to bring at work.

He loves snowboarding so I was thinking to carve a mountain.. does anyone have a tutorial? 

Plus, the cake will be for just 20 people, probably I will have leftovers for the rest of my life!

3 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 6:12pm
post #2 of 4

Hi, i sorta went by this turorial when i did a grooms cakes some years back. ONce i started, i just looked at it as i carved and made it look like what i needed it to look like. The couple loved to hike with their dog and the groom loved snow skiing. The grooms mother was very happy. The pic may not still be in my photos. hth

http://cakecentral.com/tutorial/how-to-carve-a-spiral-cake

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 6:41pm
post #3 of 4

When I made this mountain ski cake for my nephew 2 years ago it was for about 15-17 people.  If you don't want to do a spiral cake like icer suggested, you can start with a half sheet and add layers. I added different sized round, carved some away and used what I carved out plus other smaller shapes.  This added some other dimensions to the ski slope.  That's the beauty of a free form mountain, right?  It's not symmetrical or exact, which worked out fine for me at the time!  Hope it helps.  Theresa

PS Cotton candy snow.

This multi-layer downhill ski slope has tiny gingerbread men (sugar) on skis.  The top and bottom gates are candles, as are the big skier's ski poles.  Obviously a plastic head, but this is my first attempt at a gumpaste body!  Thanks for looking!  Please share with me how you found or searched to see this picture!  I'm curious ! :)

TheItalianBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheItalianBaker Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 3:48am
post #4 of 4

thank you both!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%