Rose Beranbaum's All-Occasion Downy Yellow Butter Cake Recipe

Decorating By KerrieD Updated 13 Aug 2013 , 12:47pm by rjcakes

KerrieD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KerrieD Posted 11 Aug 2013 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 15

AI just made this recipe for the first time. I followed the recipe to a T- EXCEPT instead of baking in two 9" pans; I baked them in 2 8" pans. (I also baked one cupcake for me to taste which is AWESOME!!!) When I turned out the cakes onto the racks, some of the bottom stuck to bottom of the pan which was greased, floured and wax papered. Also, I like the sides and bottom to be a golden color and this was light colored although it was done. One more thing - when it says to flour the pan, does the flour have to be the cake flour as used in the recipe or all purpose? I used all purpose. TIA!!!!

14 replies
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 11 Aug 2013 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 15

Maybe Rose also tried the 8" pans herself, and recommended to use 9" pans for a legitimate reason. Try the whole thing to a "T" next time, as this one tasted so good.

The concept of beating the flour directly into the butter is intriguing.

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 11 Aug 2013 , 6:52pm
post #3 of 15

AYou can use whatever flour you have handy to flour the pan. I, personally, never flour my pans. Spray and parchment is all I use. I use the downy butter recipe quite often. I bake by weight, so it's nice. I do like the reverse creaming method, and the texture I get with it.

IAmPamCakes Posted 11 Aug 2013 , 6:55pm
post #4 of 15

AI also bake this recipe in different size pans all the time. I haven't had a bad outcome yet.

KerrieD Posted 11 Aug 2013 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 15

AThis was the first time I baked by weight and reverse creaming which I thought was intriguing also. I used Magic Line pans but I like the sides and bottom golden. The top was golden.

MBalaska Posted 11 Aug 2013 , 7:56pm
post #6 of 15

Baking by weight means less dishwashing, I like that also. Now I want to try this reverse technique.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 11 Aug 2013 , 8:40pm
post #7 of 15

AHmmm I'm stumped. I use this recipe and it's always golden all around. Sometimes when I grease too much (I use pan grease) I notice the crust is not as I would like it

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 2:15am
post #8 of 15

I have made this recipe many times without problems.  i agree that it comes out fairly light in color, but uniformly baked, and very level with a nice texture.  Personally,though,  I find this recipe a little dry, and a bit eggy tasting.  If you would like to try a different recipe,i might suggest Toba Garrett's moist yellow cake.  It is my favorite, and I have tested many.  

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Moist-Yellow-Cake-109358

KerrieD Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 4:21am
post #9 of 15

AThank you very much Yortma, I appreciate your advice. I am seeing crumbs on the plate and I too am wondering if it is a little dry or just they way its being cut. BUT...it is very good. I really like the texture. I will try Toba's recipe at your suggestion!

IAmPamCakes Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 4:31am
post #10 of 15

AI have been meaning to try Toba's recipe. I've seen it recommended several times here, and every time, I promise myself I'll make it soon. I still haven't found 'the one' vanilla cake yet. I'm happy with RLB's, mainly for the texture, but it's not *it*.

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 5:49am
post #11 of 15

I haven't tried the RLB yellow cake but I do love the Toba Garret recipe...it's the keeper recipe for me and always comes out very nicely.

rjcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rjcakes Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 3:52pm
post #12 of 15

I also use Toba's yellow cake exclusively and it always comes out perfectly! Now her chocolate cake recipe has been giving me heaps of troubles but that's another story!

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 1:53am
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcakes 

I also use Toba's yellow cake exclusively and it always comes out perfectly! Now her chocolate cake recipe has been giving me heaps of troubles but that's another story!

Try this Deluxe Devil's food cake on the Softasilk box with Hershey's special dark cocoa.  My favorite!  I love Toba's yellow cake, but her chocolate was not my favorite either.  I have "too fudgy and dense" written across the top of that page of her book.

http://www.pillsburybaking.com/recipes/details/3107

MBalaska Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 6:42am
post #14 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by KerrieD 
......I like the sides and bottom to be a golden color and this was light colored although it was done......

KerrieD, rea: Robe Beranbaums 'all occasion downy butter cake'.

I got the recipe and tried it today.  Stuck to the recipe, used the 9x2" pan, good thing cause the cake rose all the way to the top when baking. The top/bottom were golden but the sides were yellow and looked uncooked.  The taste was good, reminded me of my moms homemade vanilla pudding and custard style ice cream.  However it was so tender that it lacked normal structure.  When I cut a piece, I couldn't pick it up without it falling in pieces with lots of crumbles.

rjcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rjcakes Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 12:47pm
post #15 of 15

Yortma - thanks for the tip - I'll try that chocolate cake recipe. I love the taste of Toba's chocolate cake but it usually crumbles on me. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%