Not So Sweet Icing

Baking By hugs28 Updated 24 Aug 2013 , 3:05pm by kmk

hugs28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hugs28 Posted 11 Aug 2013 , 2:21am
post #1 of 31

AI am working with a local photographer making smash cakes for first birthday pics. The buttercream I use is too sweet and it crusts. I need a icing That's tasty, not so sweet, will hold up and not crust up. Any help is appreciated.

30 replies
NJsugarmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NJsugarmama Posted 11 Aug 2013 , 2:54am
post #2 of 31

ASMBC

hugs28 Posted 11 Aug 2013 , 9:18am
post #3 of 31

AYes but eggs for babies? They are raw in that

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 11 Aug 2013 , 9:52am
post #4 of 31

No, they're cooked to 160degrees, so fine.

Who told you that either crusting or 'too' sweet was a problem? The photographer?

If people are wanting photo shoots of their babies eating cake, they have to accept that the baby will be consuming sugar.

NJsugarmama Posted 11 Aug 2013 , 11:01am
post #5 of 31

AThe concern about eggs for babies is serving egg whites before 1(and cooking them through, obviously). I believe it has to do with preventing egg allergies.

Smbc is cooked, so no worries.

hugs28 Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 1:51pm
post #6 of 31

AOk thx, I think it's way to sweet, we know sugar will be consumed but doesn't have to be a crazy amount like regular butter cream. Plus I don't like the crustimg of it

sararyna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sararyna Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 6:37pm
post #7 of 31

AI do not like sweet icing at all. I have finally found the best icing i think i have ever made ! Doesn't not crust , stays sturdy , and is light and fluffy perfect for coloring too. Very quick and simple !

5 Tablespoons Flour 1 cup Milk 1 teaspoon Vanilla 1 cup Butter 1 cup Granulated Sugar (not Powdered Sugar!) In a small saucepan, whisk flour into milk and heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens. You want it to be very thick, thicker than cake mix, more like a brownie mix is. Remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature. (If I’m in a hurry, I place the saucepan over ice in the sink for about 10 minutes or so until the mixture cools.) It must be completely cool before you use it in the next step. Stir in vanilla. While the mixture is cooling, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. You don’t want any sugar graininess left. Then add the completely cooled milk/flour/vanilla mixture and beat the living daylights out of it. If it looks separated, you haven’t beaten it enough! Beat it until it all combines and resembles whipped cream.

sararyna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sararyna Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 6:38pm
post #8 of 31

ARecipe makes enough icing for 12 cupcakes

ttaunt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttaunt Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 6:42pm
post #9 of 31

this is the original recipe for the red velvet cake icing-long before they started putting cream cheese in it. I'm talking at least 40 years ago. I still make this icing for my red velvet cake. It is so delicious we fight over whose going to lick the beaters.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 5:48pm
post #10 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by sararyna 
I do not like sweet icing at all. I have finally found the best icing i think i have ever made ! Doesn't not crust , stays sturdy , and is light and fluffy perfect for coloring too.
Very quick and simple !

5 Tablespoons Flour
1 cup Milk
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1 cup Butter
1 cup Granulated Sugar (not Powdered Sugar!)
In a small saucepan, whisk flour into milk and heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens. You want it to be very thick, thicker than cake mix, more like a brownie mix is. Remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature. (If I’m in a hurry, I place the saucepan over ice in the sink for about 10 minutes or so until the mixture cools.) It must be completely cool before you use it in the next step. Stir in vanilla.
While the mixture is cooling, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. You don’t want any sugar graininess left. Then add the completely cooled milk/flour/vanilla mixture and beat the living daylights out of it. If it looks separated, you haven’t beaten it enough! Beat it until it all combines and resembles whipped cream.

sararyna, if you put an egg yolk in here you have Pudding or pastry cream.  It sounds like it would be a very nice cake filling, with the rich creaminess I envision here.

I had been looking at the French Buttercream recipes on the CC website, but I'm trying this old-fashioned recipe first. thanks.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 5:55pm
post #11 of 31

I love that recipe, mine uses 4 T instead of 5 of flour, only difference. (and I get enough out of it to generously frost 24 cupcakes)

I use it instead of IMBC on most of my cupcakes, unless they need fruit/berry added, you can't really add in anything wet, other than a small amount of flavouring.

If you add a few tablespoons of coconut milk powder into the flour and a vanilla bean, it is amazing. You can do the same with espresso powder, makes a really yummy coffee and cream type flavour.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 9:18pm
post #12 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrumdiddlycakes 

I love that recipe, mine uses 4 T instead of 5 of flour, only difference. (and I get enough out of it to generously frost 24 cupcakes)

I use it instead of IMBC on most of my cupcakes, unless they need fruit/berry added, you can't really add in anything wet, other than a small amount of flavouring.

If you add a few tablespoons of coconut milk powder into the flour and a vanilla bean, it is amazing. You can do the same with espresso powder, makes a really yummy coffee and cream type flavour.

scrumdidlycakes:  Yes, I see where you might want a touch less flour.    Q: You can't really add in anything wet to the Flour icing, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaunt 

this is the original recipe for the red velvet cake icing-long before they started putting cream cheese in it. I'm talking at least 40 years ago. I still make this icing for my red velvet cake. It is so delicious we fight over whose going to lick the beaters.

ttaunt:  So essentially the alteration of the original recipe, (adding cream cheese),  was just a shortcut which eliminated the stove top cooking step. I'm wondering how this icing would be on Banana, Carrot, & pumpkin cakes.

ttaunt Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 2:07am
post #13 of 31

It is delicious on any cake. My sister just informed me recently that she doesn't like the change by adding cream cheese. She prefers the original-so bye bye cream cheese icing except for carrot cake.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 4:50am
post #14 of 31

A

Original message sent by scrumdiddlycakes

I use it instead of IMBC on most of my cupcakes, unless they need fruit/berry added, you can't really add in anything wet, other than a small amount of flavouring. If you add a few tablespoons of coconut milk powder into the flour and a vanilla bean, it is amazing. You can do the same with espresso powder, makes a really yummy coffee and cream type flavour.

Do you mix it the same way? I always read to mix the sugar, flour and milk and salt first, then cook and add the cold butter after it cools, and vanilla then whip the daylights out of it. Do you think that affects volume? I have the same recipe and mine is about 2 cups of icing.

scrumdiddlycakes Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 4:57am
post #15 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

Do you mix it the same way? I always read to mix the sugar, flour and milk and salt first, then cook and add the cold butter after it cools, and vanilla then whip the daylights out of it. Do you think that affects volume? I have the same recipe and mine is about 2 cups of icing.

I do just flour/milk/vanilla in the paste, then beat the sugar and butter til the sugar for ages, add the paste and beat for another 5-10 minutes. I find if you get the flour paste really cold, it whips up fluffier, and I use the whisk attachment, not the paddle.

The only time I cook the sugar in with the past is when I make it chocolate, for some reason I have a much harder time getting that one smooth.

Annabakescakes Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 5:00am
post #16 of 31

AThanks ms. Scrumdiddly! I need to try it that way!

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 5:05am
post #17 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by sararyna 

I do not like sweet icing at all. I have finally found the best icing i think i have ever made ! Doesn't not crust , stays sturdy , and is light and fluffy perfect for coloring too.
Very quick and simple !

5 Tablespoons Flour
1 cup Milk
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1 cup Butter
1 cup Granulated Sugar (not Powdered Sugar!)
In a small saucepan, whisk flour into milk and heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens. You want it to be very thick, thicker than cake mix, more like a brownie mix is. Remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature. (If I’m in a hurry, I place the saucepan over ice in the sink for about 10 minutes or so until the mixture cools.) It must be completely cool before you use it in the next step. Stir in vanilla.
While the mixture is cooling, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. You don’t want any sugar graininess left. Then add the completely cooled milk/flour/vanilla mixture and beat the living daylights out of it. If it looks separated, you haven’t beaten it enough! Beat it until it all combines and resembles whipped cream.

I see so many people talk about this frosting that I now need to try it.  I'm intrigued beyond words!

scrumdiddlycakes Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 5:12am
post #18 of 31
NJsugarmama Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 2:37pm
post #19 of 31

AThis is the same recipe my babysitter used to make us when I was a kid. It tasted awesome...but she was absolutely terrible at mixing. There were always little clumps of flour left behind. Just be sure to mix the flour and milk before it heats up....then keep mixing until its thick.

To speed up the process, I pour the thickened flour/milk into another bowl with a piece of wax paper on top and throw it in the freezer for 20 minutes.

hugs28 Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 2:38pm
post #20 of 31

AThank you so much. I will try this one too. I made the smbc, was delicious, however tasted a lot of butter and wasn't as stiff as I would like it. Any way to stiffen it and cut some butter taste?

Annabakescakes Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 7:52pm
post #21 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugs28 

Thank you so much. I will try this one too. I made the smbc, was delicious, however tasted a lot of butter and wasn't as stiff as I would like it. Any way to stiffen it and cut some butter taste?

Adding powdered sugar about 1/2 cup at a time (untill you like the consistency) will both stiffen and cut the butter flavor.

hugs28 Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 3:43pm
post #22 of 31

AThank you!!!

kmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmk Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 1:40pm
post #23 of 31

I have another question. Can this withstand being out of refrigerator for the day on a wedding cake?

NJsugarmama Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 1:58pm
post #24 of 31

AIf you are referring to the SMBC...I would leave it out up to 3 days. It refrigerates and freezes beautifully.

If you're talking about the cooked flour, my experience has not been good when refrigerating it and having it come back to room temp. It seems to separate a bit and has a curdled look...even after I made it and it looked great initially. My suggestion would be to make it and use to cover cakes without refrigeration.

This is just my experience though. I used to use the flour recipe exclusively, until I discovered smbc.

HTH.

kmk Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 6:09pm
post #25 of 31

Thank you for your response. I was talking about the cooked flour recipe. Can that set out if you do it the same day or does the cake need to be refrigerated? I am concerned about the milk in that recipe not being refrigerated or when it gets cooked does that make it more stable?

NJsugarmama Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 7:17pm
post #26 of 31

AI've never had a problem with leaving it out. I wouldn't worry, but that's just me. Use your judgement. How long do you need to make it in advance?

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 7:28pm
post #27 of 31

Just use your regular recipe and scale way back on the sugar.  Remove a couple of cups from it, and thin it with hot whipping cream and beat the daylights out of it.

kmk Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 8:44pm
post #28 of 31

AI would like to make it the night before but could probably do it the morning of if you think that would be better without refrigerating it at all. Wedding is at 6 pm so deliver it by 5 Pm cake is only. Tiers.

ttaunt Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 11:32pm
post #29 of 31

I use reconstituted dry milk powder , and I use less water than it says to use so that it is richer. I leave this icing out for days and it holds up well.

Krypto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krypto Posted 22 Aug 2013 , 2:14am
post #30 of 31

AIs this recipe enough to cover a 9x13 cake with a simple boarder?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%