Stenciling With Ri Vs Dust?

Decorating By James M Updated 9 Aug 2013 , 11:41pm by James M

James M Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
James M Posted 9 Aug 2013 , 1:31am
post #1 of 8

AI have seen a bunch of different threads and sites stating to use buttercream or RI when stenciling on a cake but with hand painting being so popular now I was wondering why you would not paint it on with dust and extract/vodka?

7 replies
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 9 Aug 2013 , 2:47am
post #2 of 8

Because my painting looks like the stuff your kids tape to the fridge.

My stenciling (cookies only so far) look sharp, crisp, clean.

James M Posted 9 Aug 2013 , 3:28am
post #3 of 8

Maybe I didn't put enough information in there. I was referring to when using the stencil everyone was referring to using the RI and I was wondering why you could not paint on the stencil using the dust and vodka.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 9 Aug 2013 , 3:32am
post #4 of 8

Do you mean paint it on over the stencil, or freehand it?

ttaunt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttaunt Posted 9 Aug 2013 , 3:44am
post #5 of 8

you probably could if you have the patience  for it.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 9 Aug 2013 , 6:50am
post #6 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by James M 

Maybe I didn't put enough information in there. I was referring to when using the stencil everyone was referring to using the RI and I was wondering why you could not paint on the stencil using the dust and vodka.

Drip, Drip, Drip and dribble.  It's the thickness and viscosity of the icing that not only fully fills in the depth of the plastic on the stencil, but holds the stencil in place.  I have seen a sponge-dabbing application, but imagine that without the icing acting as glue (to hold the stencil in place) there'd be some slipping and sliding and it might get sloppy on a larger stencil.  What do I know, I still have the artistic talent of a peanut.

There are methods of painting on fondant with dust/vodka using stencils, before placing it on a cake.  Way beyond my means, check out videos, youtube etc.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 9 Aug 2013 , 1:05pm
post #7 of 8

You can do it with dust colours - put a very, very thin coating of crisco on the cake, this makes the stencil stick. Paint with dust colours and it sticks to the crisco in the stencil design. Remove stencil and you're done. I did it with gold lustre dust once and it works great!

James M Posted 9 Aug 2013 , 11:41pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%