Aggggghhhhhhhhhhh! And Grrrrrrrr!!!!

Decorating By Relznik Updated 9 Aug 2013 , 1:18am by auzzi

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 4:04pm
post #1 of 9

Thank you for allowing me to get that off my chest.

I've almost finished tomorrow's wedding cake - covered in white chocolate paste with a couple of swags/drapes and milk chocolate roses.

I had an awful time with my white chocolate paste, but I managed to mix it with some white sugarpaste (fondant) and cover the cakes.

Last night, I made some milk chocolate plastique (modelling chocolate) using equal weights of chocolate and liquid glucose (similar to light corn syrup, I believe....  I know they're interchangable in most recipes).  Well it's greasy and it won't hold its shape.  I only want to make 3 roses AND I CAN'T!!!!!

I'm going to have to do an emergency trip up to the cake supply shop tomorrow morning and buy some ready made ones (which a) I don't like and b) they're not quite big enough so will need to buy more).  And my husband will be mad at me for wasting money and time.....

I AM SO FRUSTRATED RIGHT NOW.

And to finish everything off, the bride has given me toppers which are likely to topple and ruin the cake - but she's INSISTENT they're used. I'll place them once the cake's set up, but I'm still doubtful they'll last!  icon_cry.gif

Suzanne x

8 replies
shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 4:26pm
post #2 of 9

Take a deep breath. This too shall pass. I send you my empathy and a hug.

Relznik Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 4:32pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you.

I just tried using the white paste I used as the 'cone' bit for the rose, but the petals just flopped back completely.  I'm going to clean down, tidy up and then will have one more try by adding some more gumpaste to the choc paste for a bit of body.

I've nothing to lose by trying that, at this stage....

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 4:45pm
post #4 of 9

Breathe!

bgbdbill67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bgbdbill67 Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 5:26pm
post #5 of 9

http://www.hungryhappenings.com/p/chocolate-making-tips.html

this site has a great recipe and also helpful info for when your modeling chocolate goes haywire.icon_eek.gif

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 5:30pm
post #6 of 9

AI think that's way too much glucose In your modeling chocolate. http://www.wickedgoodies.net/modeling-chocolate-recipe/

Relznik Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 10:00pm
post #7 of 9

I give up and admit defeat.

I made another batch of modelling chocolate, this time using 170g of chocolate and 90g glucose.

It's still not right.

I'm just going to buy some damn roses.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 9 Aug 2013 , 12:17am
post #8 of 9

Your recipe is way wrong.  It's calling for entirely too much glucose (corn syrup).  It will never hold any shape at all.  The standard recipe for modeling chocolate is 10 oz chocolate and 1/3 cup corn syrup (or glucose).  I typically use 24 oz of chocolate to 1/2 cup (4 oz) corn syrup - that's a 6-1 ratio.  The standard recipe is waaaayyy too soft and I still have to mix it 50/50 with fondant if I want to do anything other than cover a cake.  I haven't been able to make decent flowers with straight modeling chocolate - it's just too soft.

Melt your chocolate, stir in the corn syrup and pour it out on wax paper.  As soon as it's cool enough to handle, knead as much of the excess oil out of it as possible.  This is messy and uses a lot of paper towels, but IMO it's the only way to get it workable.  From this point on, treat it just like fondant - - don't refrigerate it, just cover with a thin coat of shortening and keep it in an air-tight container.  Let it rest a couple of hours or even overnight.  It will be like a rock when you first start working with it, but the heat from your hands is usually enough to get it softened up.

Don't give up!  You'll find what works for you if you keep at it.  Good luck.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 9 Aug 2013 , 1:18am
post #9 of 9
200g white chocolate, finely chopped
45g glucose syrup [+ 15g, depending on brand of chocolate]

Glucose syrup is actually "thicker" in texture than US corn syrup ..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%