Square Wedding Cake Please Help

Decorating By sweetmelodee Updated 8 Aug 2013 , 3:10pm by sweetmelodee

sweetmelodee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmelodee Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 4:43am
post #1 of 6

Hello!

I'm making a wedding cake tomorrow and it is all square I am using the wilton 3 peice square cake pan set. I'm having trouble with the basics.

I am making a 2 layer 3 teier. When baked the top of the cake is wider than the bottom, so when I go to fill and stack it looks more like an hour glass vs an even square. For the life of me I can't seem to figure out a way to stack them and have them be even on all sides.It will be covered in fondant. As simple as that sounds it's making me crazy.

I don't want to have to trim the edges unless thats the only way. 

Thanks in advance for your help!

5 replies
Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 5:35am
post #2 of 6

Trim the edges.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 6:55am
post #3 of 6

Doesn't matter what it's shaped like, I can ice a round cake square, and a square cake round, because you ice to the shape of the board the cake sits on. You fill everything in with buttercream, and everything should be flush straight up and down from your cake board. 

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 2:10pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

Doesn't matter what it's shaped like, I can ice a round cake square, and a square cake round, because you ice to the shape of the board the cake sits on. You fill everything in with buttercream, and everything should be flush straight up and down from your cake board. 

Ditto, but you'll use more frosting (added costs=less profit) and it might not please the people receiving it and eating it.

With those kinds of pans (throw them out and get better ones cause those will drive you nuts!) you've really got to trim your cake before frosting it. It's so much harder to mess with a budging middle than starting with a nice flat level side.

mollineau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mollineau Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 2:51pm
post #5 of 6

Why don't you try Magic line cake pan they are straight and comes out so nice and square I don't like wilton or fat daddio for that reason so I got magic line from Global Sugar Art icon_biggrin.gif

sweetmelodee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmelodee Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 3:10pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm just working with what I have at the moment to get through this cake then I can up grade my pans later. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%