My Red Gumpaste Is Fading Only After 1 Day! Help!

Decorating By kellyk1234 Updated 9 Aug 2013 , 11:52pm by kellyk1234

kellyk1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyk1234 Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 6:06pm
post #1 of 23

The rose on the right, I made yesterday and the rose on the left I made today and you can see it's much brighter then the one I made yesterday(its almost a dusty rose color now). I used super red americolor because I heard it was the best red that doesn't fade. Why is this happening? Did I maybe not color the gumpaste dark enough? I used A LOT of gel coloring!  Is there a way to fix it without trashing it (already have 4 made and will probably happen to them too)? Maybe dusting it with a darker red petal dust?  Btw, I'm going for a bright, poppy red color and planned on dusting only the edges a darker red.

22 replies
BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 9:00pm
post #2 of 23

are you keeping them out of the sun? My gumpaste flowers faded horribly the first time I made them.They were in front of a window. I haven't had that problem since

kellyk1234 Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 9:36pm
post #3 of 23

AI made them in my kitchen a few feet away from a window. I didn't think it would be enough sun to fade them though. I'm sure that's the problem. Do you think dusting them all over with a red petal dust will help brighten them back up?

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 10:20pm
post #4 of 23

Can you airbrush them?

kellyk1234 Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 10:52pm
post #5 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginaherrin 

Can you airbrush them?

No, I don't have a airbrush gun and don't really want to buy one since I'm just a hobby baker. Ill just try the petal dust, if it doesn't work, I'll make new ones! I don't have any red petal dust, so just wondering before buying them.

reginaherrin Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 11:27pm
post #6 of 23

AIf you have a Michaels, Hobby Lobby or Joanns you can get a can of ebile spray for you to air brush them red.

kellyk1234 Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 12:10am
post #7 of 23

AOh yea I forgot about those! Will Wilton color mist work, or is there a better brand?

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 12:45am
post #8 of 23

I swear I had a pink cake fade during the delivery once!  Keep them in the dark. If you set them in a cardboard box, it won't hurt to cover the box with black plastic.

reginaherrin Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 1:19am
post #9 of 23

Wilton is fine and there is also Duff's and they are both good.  I tend to go with Duffs just because of the way it sprays out but they both color just the same.

kellyk1234 Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 2:13am
post #10 of 23

A

Original message sent by howsweet

I swear I had a pink cake fade during the delivery once!  Keep them in the dark. If you set them in a cardboard box, it won't hurt to cover the box with black plastic.

Oh thank you, I'll put them in a cardboard box! I had just put them in clear tuberware for storage because I'm making them almost 2 months early. I would have been so upset if they faded!

kellyk1234 Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 2:18am
post #11 of 23

A

Original message sent by reginaherrin

Wilton is fine and there is also Duff's and they are both good.  I tend to go with Duffs just because of the way it sprays out but they both color just the same.

Thank you, I'll try the duff's brand. :)

cakeballer85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeballer85 Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 3:51am
post #12 of 23

Athe color fading also happens with my fondant pieces...after experimenting with leaving pieces in various areas of the house I determined my flourescent bulbs in the kitchen were the culprit...Im not sure what type of lighting you have...but its a shame these things are so temperamental!

kellyk1234 Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 11:33am
post #13 of 23

AI have the spiral energy saver bulbs. Now I feel like I need to work in a dark room! I have to make a lot of roses, poppies and hydrangeas for a cake, and I definitely don't want any of them to fade! Makes me wonder how professionals keep them from fading in a well lit bake shop!

Rohini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rohini Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 4:06pm
post #14 of 23

Hi!

This happened to me too once. I dusted the roses with Rainbow Dust (The plain and simple range) Chilli Red....they turned out a beautiful deep red color.

kellyk1234 Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 8:29pm
post #15 of 23

AI sprayed them with wilton red colormist and it worked great! I'm waiting for my order of GSA petals dusts to come in to finish them off(poppy red and rose red), and ill post a picture when they're done. I just hope the petal dusts will show up well on them.

kellyk1234 Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 10:34pm
post #16 of 23

Incase others have the same problem, bottom red flower is sprayed with red Wilton ColorMist and came out great. Just had to lightly spray several thin coats to get the color I needed. :)

cakeballer85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeballer85 Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 2:35am
post #17 of 23

AThey came out with a nice color in the end! I will have to remember that in a pinch...I have a few pink fondant bows and baby booties I'm hiding in my kitchen under a bowl just to prevent the color fading issue lol

kellyk1234 Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 2:47am
post #18 of 23

A

Original message sent by cakeballer85

They came out with a nice color in the end! I will have to remember that in a pinch...I have a few pink fondant bows and baby booties I'm hiding in my kitchen under a bowl just to prevent the color fading issue lol

Haha! Sounds like me, I have some flowers hanging on cabinet knobs with paper towels draped over them to keep away some light. I've never had fondant fade before and this is only my second time making gumpaste flowers and first time they were just white! Live and learn!

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 3:34am
post #19 of 23

ALast year when my pink (americolor) cake turned almost white in less than a week I corresponded with the company I bought them from and was told that red food coloring made in the states will fade as the food laws ban a certain substance from being added to maintain the color. I was advised that if I needed to make anything in advance to keep it in a dark place (fat lot of good when I want to look at my fruitcake for a month before I eat it). The other suggestion I was given was to get hold of some of the english made red as this would hold its color. When I posted about this on CC people recommended Sugarflair as being color fast.

kellyk1234 Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 3:54am
post #20 of 23

AAhhh ok! Thanks for letting me know, I've heard of sugarflair just recently, but to just order one color shipping will cost the same or more then the color. Do you know if it's the same problem for petal dusts? Im going to make poppies next week with GSA poppy red petal dust mixed in with the gumpaste. Will I also have a problem with it fading or should I make them white and dust the whole thing with the petal dust?

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 12:47pm
post #21 of 23

AI have no idea about the petal dust.

justdesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justdesserts Posted 9 Aug 2013 , 11:44pm
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyk1234 

Incase others have the same problem, bottom red flower is sprayed with red Wilton ColorMist and came out great. Just had to lightly spray several thin coats to get the color I needed. :)

Did you find the Color Mist smelled like mint? I've used the blue and red before on the sides of cakes, and my whole family agreed it made the cake taste strongly of mint. That was some years back, and I was wondering if the formula has changed at all.

It's funny, at that time, I posted a reply on the Wilton forums about it being minty, and they edited that out of my post. Heh. Guess they didn't want people to know that little fact.... icon_rolleyes.gif

kellyk1234 Posted 9 Aug 2013 , 11:52pm
post #23 of 23

ANo it didn't smell like mint, it had more of a light chemical smell to it I think. I wasn't too worried about it though since no one will be eating the gumpaste flowers anyway. But I am still wiping red off my granite counter tops even after covering them! :/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%