Hey Is It Best To Buy Made Fodant Or To Make The Marshmallow One???? Help Please....

Decorating By nany389 Updated 8 Aug 2013 , 9:57am by BatterUpCake

nany389 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nany389 Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 12:51pm
post #1 of 7

AIm making a sofia the first cake for my daugter and im covering it with fondant. The probles is that everytime i use it it seem to melt if i put it in the fridge to make the icing hard... I need help please

6 replies
kelsey012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelsey012 Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 1:05pm
post #2 of 7

I personally use satinice fondant - its the best I have found so far, taste and "user friendly" wise :) I believe its not recommended to refrigerate a cake that has been iced with fondant as it causes the fondant to sweat and then you have problems with colours, moisture etc. Hope thats helpful! 

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 2:17pm
post #3 of 7

No one can tell you what is best for you. Making it is cheaper, buying more convenient. It will sweat some if the icing underneath is cold but it will dry out.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 7:05am
post #4 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by nany389 
Im making a sofia the first cake for my daugter and im covering it with fondant. The probles is that everytime i use it it seem to melt if i put it in the fridge to make the icing hard

nany389 - Just curious, after you have covered the entire cake with fondant you are putting it in the fridge?  

Why are you trying to make your fondant hard?

The answer to your OP which is best, is that they are different and both good.

Satin Ice has become my favorite Fondant. It is such good quality.

I don't put fondant in the fridge either.

I learned to make Marshmallow Fondant, and it's really easy to make and inexpensive. For decorations, and thick cut outs. kids love the taste.

Satin Ice commercial fondant works so well in covering a cake, I haven't even tried to cover a cake with MMF.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 7:44am
post #5 of 7

I refrigerate fondant all the time, but in high humidity it will sweat a lot if it's taken straight from the fridge to a warm room, is that what is happening? You can help prevent this by putting it in a cardboard box in the fridge, then letting it come to room temp, preferably in a cool room at first, in the same box.

The only time I have ever seen fondant 'melt', is when it isn't put on an appropriate frosting, something like whipped cream or a soft cream cheese frosting, those would break down MMF very quickly. What do you have under it?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 9:18am
post #6 of 7

AI also use SatinIce. I never refrigerate a cake. I truly dislike the look, taste, and handling of MMF.

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 8 Aug 2013 , 9:57am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBalaska 

Quote:

nany389 - Just curious, after you have covered the entire cake with fondant you are putting it in the fridge?  

Why are you trying to make your fondant hard?

The answer to your OP which is best, is that they are different and both good.

Satin Ice has become my favorite Fondant. It is such good quality.

I don't put fondant in the fridge either.

I learned to make Marshmallow Fondant, and it's really easy to make and inexpensive. For decorations, and thick cut outs. kids love the taste.

Satin Ice commercial fondant works so well in covering a cake, I haven't even tried to cover a cake with MMF.

I think she is trying to make the icing underneath hard....which it doesn't need to be after you put the fondant on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%