Client Want Frosted Chevron?! Help!

Decorating By jessicastott Updated 16 Aug 2013 , 7:56am by MBalaska

jessicastott Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessicastott Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 12:20am
post #1 of 9

AI have a client who wants a "sheet cake" with no fondant. She wants all pink chevron frosting. How can I obtain that clean chevron look without using fondant? I tried googling and finding images and cant find anything!! Any tips? Help! Lol

8 replies
tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 12:31am
post #2 of 9

designer stencils sells a chevron stencil. You can stencil buttercream on buttercream. Or you can use an impression mat like the cake I did here. 

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 1:19am
post #3 of 9

You could try a frozen buttercream transfer.

JessicaFolck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessicaFolck Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 1:29am
post #4 of 9

When I need to put a difficult pattern onto a cake using only butter cream, I use wax paper. First I lay out the amount of wax paper I need with my design underneath it. I outline my lines in a thick frosting line and then "flood" in the colors. Then you quickly (after a prayer) flip the wax paper over. I'm not sure how much success you would have with it when you have a large area to do but maybe that can get your head thinking.

Or, following the same line of thought. You could stencil out the chevron pattern onto your crumb coat then outline your chevron strips in a thicker form of buttercream and then fill it in with a thinner form of buttercream, like when you decorate cookies with icing. 

JessicaFolck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessicaFolck Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 4:50am
post #5 of 9

This is a good video about what I was talking about! I hope this helps you! 

quietude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quietude Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 6:08pm
post #6 of 9

The post above regarding the stencil would work if she wants a single color chevron design. Otherwise, I would just tell her that the requested design requires that the chevron pattern be made in fondant to achieve a clean look. Some designs just don't work for me in all buttercream, so either it would have to include fondant or a new design would need to be selected.

HTH

Rosie93095 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie93095 Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 6:25pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaFolck 

When I need to put a difficult pattern onto a cake using only butter cream, I use wax paper. First I lay out the amount of wax paper I need with my design underneath it. I outline my lines in a thick frosting line and then "flood" in the colors. Then you quickly (after a prayer) flip the wax paper over. I'm not sure how much success you would have with it when you have a large area to do but maybe that can get your head thinking.

Or, following the same line of thought. You could stencil out the chevron pattern onto your crumb coat then outline your chevron strips in a thicker form of buttercream and then fill it in with a thinner form of buttercream, like when you decorate cookies with icing. 

You can place the pattern on the wax paper in the freezer for a few minutes to stiffen up a bit before you try o flip it over on your cake. With a sheet cake this should work well.

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 7:21pm
post #8 of 9

There is also something called rolled buttercream. It is a bit difficult to work with and a bit more shiny than fondant but people use it instead of fondant to cover cakes. i am sure you could make your Chevron cutouts from this.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 7:56am
post #9 of 9

One of the Professional bakers recommended this, (ddaigle), and I've sent for a set for cookies.

perhaps you could use something like this for a guide.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/151866185/chevron-set-1-5-open-ended-cutters?ref=shop_home_active

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%