Venting And Please Tell Me I Am Not Making A Mistake Starting My Own Business (Long)

Decorating By lefty64 Updated 17 Sep 2013 , 6:36pm by Shasha2727

lefty64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lefty64 Posted 4 Aug 2013 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 10

So I had two birthday cakes to make this weekend.  One for yesterday and one due on Monday.  First one went pretty good.  Writing was a little crooked and bothered me all night, so I got up early and took it off and did it over.  It looked pretty good after that, but realized after I saw a picture of the cake, I forgot to put some icing under the cake so that it wouldn't slide. 

Now onto the next cake.  It is a tiara with a pageant sash and zebra stripes.  I started the tiara week and a half ago.  Used fondant.  Realized after four days that I didn't putt tylose powder to help it dry.  Scratch that.  Made second tiara with homemade gum paste that I had already.  After two days, took it off the form and got up this morning and it had fallen flat.  Keep in mind that it is due tomorrow.  Ran to Michael's this morning and bought Wilton gum paste and made a new one.  Praying it dries so that I can get it painted.  Made my cake and it looked beautiful coming out of the oven.  After 10 minutes, went to take cakes out of pans, they had fallen and instead of looking like they were bulging they were sunk in on the sides.  Now I am off to make another set of cakes.  Made the buttercream while waiting on cakes to bake.  Buttercream is not crusting.  It has to crust so that I can put zebra print onlays on the side.  Never had I not had it crust before.

Needed some ice and the ice maker went crazy and ice flew all over the kitchen.  It just keeps going.  I know this sounds comical, but I am really stressed out now.  Almost 3:00 and really haven't made any progress on a cake due tomorrow morning.

I am just about ready to get my inspection done and get my license for my business.  Please tell me I am not making a mistake.  I know I am just feeling sorry for myself, but needed to vent and I know I am not the only one to have a day like this.

Thanks for listening.

Diane

9 replies
texas_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texas_mom Posted 4 Aug 2013 , 7:01pm
post #2 of 10

Take a deep breath and relax.  I have had days like that too but in the end the cakes turn out beautiful and the costumer is happy.  No you are not making a mistake.  It was just one of those days and they are few and far between.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 4 Aug 2013 , 7:07pm
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty64 

...... I know I am just feeling sorry for myself, but needed to vent and I know I am not the only one to have a day like this.

Thanks for listening.

Diane

Goodness Gracious, you have a reason to vent.  I have had many days like this. and I thought that I was the only one. The Cake Central forum here is really opening my eyes. Wishing you well in your remakes. icon_smile.gif

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 4 Aug 2013 , 7:39pm
post #4 of 10

How are you making your tiara? I've made a fair few and what I do is tape a photo of a tiara onto a round tin (I use an empty nestlé cooca tin) I then cover that with baking paper which I tape to the tin too and then I pipe royal icing around the design. I usually go over it 3 or 4 times and then leave it until it sets. It should be fine for the next day although longer is ideal. You can find the royal icing recipe on the Wiltons meringue powder tin. Good luck.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 4 Aug 2013 , 9:12pm
post #5 of 10

ATake a breath! Sometimes when we're super stressed we make silly mistakes, it doesn't mean we're not capable. Stop pressuring yourself and you'll feel a lot better. You can do it!

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 12:15am
post #6 of 10

Blowing a fan on the tiara will help it fry faster. Good luck :)

cakeballer85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeballer85 Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 1:56am
post #7 of 10

A

Original message sent by Claire138

How are you making your tiara? I've made a fair few and what I do is tape a photo of a tiara onto a round tin (I use an empty nestlé cooca tin) I then cover that with baking paper which I tape to the tin too and then I pipe royal icing around the design. I usually go over it 3 or 4 times and then leave it until it sets. It should be fine for the next day although longer is ideal. You can find the royal icing recipe on the Wiltons meringue powder tin. Good luck.

you could also melt some candy melts and pipe it using the same technique... dries within minutes...I typically do 3 or 4 passes....its a good last minute option...good luck!

therealmrsriley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
therealmrsriley Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 2:14am
post #8 of 10

AHang in there! You're going through what so many of us have and still experience. I'm sure you've had a lot of days where everything was flowing right, this is just a bump in the road. I promise I've quit my business at least 30 times in the middle of each cake and once it's all done, I'm proud! Can't wait to hear how it all turns out.

lefty64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lefty64 Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 5:17am
post #9 of 10

Thank you for all of the support and suggestions.  The cake is done and all that is left is the painting of the tiara and the pageant sash in the morning.  The tiara is almost dry and should be dry fully by morning.  A very stressful day that I am glad to put to bed.

Shasha2727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shasha2727 Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 6:36pm
post #10 of 10

Go to the "Cake Disasters" photo gallery here at Cake Central & look at some of those cakes & read their accompaning stories.  You'll have a good laugh, and realize this kind of stuff happens to LOTS of people. Start projects as early as possible, take your time, and double check that you have everything IN your recipe before you pull the trigger (my neighbor somehow baked pound cake using salt instead of sugar). TASTE when appropriate, and remember IF you can get this business going, you will be a very fortunate person, doing what you enjoy & being paid for it. GOOD LUCK! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%