Xiony Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Xiony Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 17

Is there such a thing?

16 replies
BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 6:21pm
post #2 of 17

Look at global sugar art..they have every color you can imagine in Satin Ice. Wilton make some too but it is poo

crisgnavarro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisgnavarro Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 6:24pm
post #3 of 17

if you can't find it make it, buy some white fondant & navy blue color gel and if you cant find navy blue you can try mixing blue with just a little little touch of black

BatterUpCake Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 6:59pm
post #4 of 17

it is really hard to get a deep blue with gel color without making the fondant crumble...you can melt some Merken's candy melts into your fondant to get the color started. WIlton doesn't have dark blue melts.I have tried powder with fondant but it leaves specks. You let it set and the color will deepen so don't make it too blue. Of course if you are using it for modeling you can just make candy clay with the Merken's

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 7:24pm
post #5 of 17

A

Original message sent by BatterUpCake

it is really hard to get a deep blue with gel color without making the fondant crumble...you can melt some Merken's candy melts into your fondant to get the color started. WIlton doesn't have dark blue melts.I have tried powder with fondant but it leaves specks. You let it set and the color will deepen so don't make it too blue. Of course if you are using it for modeling you can just make candy clay with the Merken's

I learned this this week. It was a sad sad day. I made another MMF batch (dont know if you make that) and added the color to the melted marshmallows. I let it sit overnight it was DECENT. I wish that I had the time to let it sit at least 2 days.

BatterUpCake Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 7:26pm
post #6 of 17

I have done it that way too...It still didn't come out dark enough for what I needed. That batch was red.

melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 8:02pm
post #7 of 17

i have finally made navy blue fondant, I used Wilton blue ( the dark blue that comes in the multi pack and mixed it with Satin Ice black to add a little flavor. about a 6:1 ratio. Comes out NY Yankees navy blue. I do recommend using it for accents and not covering an entire cake, but you can if you choose :) Satin Ice also has a great color mixing guide that shows a navy blue but I haven't tried it that way yet. 

BatterUpCake Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 8:16pm
post #8 of 17

Satin ice already sells blue fondant

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 8:46pm
post #9 of 17

Navy is probably the color I hate the most to make.    After using the navy gel (which will never get it dark enough) someone told me to add violet.   Probably the best advice I ever got.   This will get you navy the quickest.

BatterUpCake Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 9:13pm
post #10 of 17

good to know. What kind of coloring do u use? Gel, powder, candy color?

ddaigle Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 9:19pm
post #11 of 17

I only use Americolor gel.

BatterUpCake Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 9:21pm
post #12 of 17

I wish my cake store sold it....I don't even know what brand it is thatthey have but I use it every day...lol. I also use Wilton. Guess I should order some Americolor. I hear good things

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 9:25pm
post #13 of 17

Royal blue plus a little black :)

ddaigle Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 9:31pm
post #14 of 17

I find americolor is more concentrated.   Wilton is so diluted.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 7:45am
post #15 of 17

Xiont:   Alan Tetreault showed a method of adding color to fondant, by using Powdered Colors.  You use an artists paint spatula (the tiny ones) take a tiny bit of Crisco Shortening (looked like a 1/4 tsp.) and then start adding the powdered color.  It reminded me of my husband mixing paints on his palette.

I just learned this recently & have only done it once.  I made a really deep mix of color/Crisco, then slowly added it to my fondant until I got the dark shade that I wanted. It was a dark color added to a med color fondant.

What Tetreault  said was that this method does not change the consistency of the fondant too much, it's not liquid  - so it doesn't make the fondant wet/sticky.  It's not dry so it doesn't stiffen it - dry it out.

Ohtasteandsee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohtasteandsee Posted 17 May 2014 , 5:16am
post #16 of 17

Acan't wait to try this method!! Thank you!

MaurorLess67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaurorLess67 Posted 18 May 2014 , 3:36pm
post #17 of 17

AThese are some really great tips on how to achieve Navy--- it is hard to get that one right-- gonna give these a shot -- thanks guys!

Mo

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%