How Do I Make These Flowers?

Decorating By NSuojhayer Updated 3 Aug 2013 , 2:27pm by BatterUpCake

NSuojhayer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NSuojhayer Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 11:09pm
post #1 of 8

I've never had luck with any flowers. From rose petals that don't ruffle to little daisies that just are too thick. I have an order for 5 dozen engagement party cupcakes that look like the photo I have attached. What kind of a cutter do I use for those flowers??? Is there something I can make to form them in instead of having to buy 60 little flower formers? I have these small rose cutters, would the smallest work??? Please let me know!! I need answers asap!! Engagement is next Saturday!!!!

7 replies
BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 11:19pm
post #2 of 8

why would you have to buy 60 flower formers?

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 11:22pm
post #3 of 8

your flowers look like either Wild Roses or California Poppies.  The cutter you showed would make them. If you are using fondant  it just takes a little ruffling on the edges of each petal so they flair out and overlap. could you crinkle up and crumple small squares of wax paper, then open the paper and lay the flower in.  it wont be perfect like the expensive flower formers, but they will not be flat.  I use wax paper for all of my buttercream and royal icing flowers, so why not for fondant?  Good luck with your cupcakes.

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 11:24pm
post #4 of 8

AYes, you should be able to work with one of those cutters. For the forms, use one form to shape as many pieces of aluminum foil as you need to shape all your flowers.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 11:26pm
post #5 of 8

You could use those cutters although the flower in the photo has a pointy bit at the end of each petal. You can do it yourself by pinching each petal at the very tip. Make sure you roll your gumpaste thin, and then roll some more. Dry them with the petals overlapping in plastic wrap or foil covered egg trays - don't dry them on the cardboard because of possible contamination - you don't need to buy flower formers. If you don't have enough egg trays, use foil to make a kind of mold of one and lift off the egg tray/carton, and make as many as you need. The centres look like they are just non-pareils, use water in the centre of the flower and drop a pinch of non-pareils in. Good luck!

NSuojhayer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NSuojhayer Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 11:48pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks everyone!! Good tips!

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 2:25pm
post #7 of 8

AEgg cartons make excellent flower formers, and they can protect the flowers from breakage.

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 2:27pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatterUpCake 

why would you have to buy 60 flower formers?

For some reason I read flower cutters and thought you wanted a new cutter for each flower...lol. I'm such a dork sometimes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%