Becoming A Cake Decorating Tutor - Help?!

Decorating By SophieVictoriasCupcakes1 Updated 3 Aug 2013 , 9:16pm by celiazumbach

SophieVictoriasCupcakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SophieVictoriasCupcakes1 Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 2:45pm
post #1 of 6

Hi All,

Is anyone on here a cake decorating tutor? I've been decorating cupcakes for years and have got a pme diploma in **********. I'd love to do this either full or part time whether its for cakes or cupcakes and wondered if anyone had any tips?

Thanks!

Sophs

5 replies
SophieVictoriasCupcakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SophieVictoriasCupcakes1 Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 2:47pm
post #2 of 6

*pme diploma in sugar craft

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 4:42pm
post #3 of 6

AThe first thing you need to do is a competitive analysis. You will probably be competing against cheap Wilton classes and free YouTube videos so you need to convince customers to pay a premium for your curriculum.

If there are any culinary schools in the area you may want to consider looking for a part-time or full-time position there.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 6

Network within your community.  Send out emails offering your tutorials!  Also, put an ad in a local paper.  In my demographic there is a mother's association and if I ever do tutorials or classes, I will be using their website to get the word out.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 6:44pm
post #5 of 6

ASome homeschool groups do co-op classes. Now would be the time to contact them as they are setting up their classes for the fall now.

You could also do personal classes in people's home, kind of like a party. The hostess could get a discount based on how many paying guests attend. (of course there would be a lot to think about with something like this, especially if the people are drinking. Maybe put limits on how many could attend.)

A few years ago when I had the time, my sister and a friend would have signed up to have someone come to my house bi-weekly to teach us decorating techniques in a serious manner (not a party atmosphere.)

Good luck!

celiazumbach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
celiazumbach Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 9:16pm
post #6 of 6

AUse your social network....Facebook.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%