Please Help. Any Advice On Going About This "balloon" On Top Of The Cake?

Decorating By Cakes by Bri Updated 2 Aug 2013 , 4:29pm by Cakes by Bri

Cakes by Bri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakes by Bri Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 11

AAny advice on how to go about this "glove balloon" on top would be greatly appreciated! I have some ideas but not sure the best way? Please help!

Here's what I'm referring to...

[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3068922/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Thank you all!

10 replies
vpenkuhn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vpenkuhn Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 8:46pm
post #2 of 11

If it were me I think I would blow up a food safe glove & dip it in white chocolate.  Not sure how I would secure it while the chocolate dried though.  then afer it hardens I would just snip the glove to deflate & remove.  Kinda of like the paper mache puppets we made in school...hope that helps

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 8:51pm
post #3 of 11

AThat's a cute cake!

I would use a long pole, attached to the bottom base of a piece of wood, so it will go through all your cakes and hold the 'balloon' up.

Cakes by Bri Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 9:19pm
post #4 of 11

AVpenkuhn-- interesting I didn't think of that method.. Hmm.

I was thinking of a long pole/dowel attached to styrofoam cake dummy ball going all the way through? Probably little dowels for the "fingers"?

Thank you!

Smckinney07 Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 5:18am
post #5 of 11

AIf you don't need the top tier to be cake you might be able to add the tall, central pipe. You might be able to just use four skewers (painted black) from the basket to the styrofoam-does that make sense? Do you see how the pic has the four 'ropes' hanging from balloon to basket, replace those with skewers or dowells. Practice first though.

For the fingers, you'll definitely want supports inside, a bit longer so they'll stick inside (and make ahead of time so whatever you cover the fingers with can dry) maybe use some chocolate or royal to keep them secure.

I just don't know about the weight.

I think it will be a really fun cake to make!

bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 5:42am
post #6 of 11

http://cakecentral.com/t/759768/mickey-mouse-cake

Do you have an of the figures? In her cake, she used a figure as a mold. Otherwise, I would use RKT. 

LeslieBruckman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeslieBruckman Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 5:48am
post #7 of 11

A central rod that goes into the board on the bottom. Then a small circle of wood cut out to be the "base" of the balloon, possibly with holes drilled to hold a small dowel for each finger. Each finger made of something light, like rice crispy treats... chocolate would be too heavy I think. If it came loose or broke your whole cake would get wrecked. I once did the mickey mouse clubhouse. The head part was crispy treats and I tried to dip it in chocolate... it was so heavy it ripped itself apart. That was a LONG time ago. I've since learned the method where you add modeling chocolate until you get a smooth finish to the crispy treats. It stays lighter. Good luck!

Smckinney07 Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 6:22am
post #8 of 11

AYes, ^^^ that's what I meant when I said long pole lol.

Great idea for the actual hand! I imagine that would be the most stable. I'm terrible with tools and anything aside from a basic internal structure! Luckily, I can draw a picture & my fiance will do the rest.

Cakes by Bri Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 2:16pm
post #9 of 11

AThank you all for the advice! Leslie that is a wonderful idea for the hand part! I'm going to practice! And if all else fail I'm doing a smaller rendition like this... [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3069407/width/200/height/400[/IMG] She's wanting a glove ballon on there and I've been searching different methods! Thought the bigger one was coolest but I will be testing it! :-) thanks everyone! I like a challenge so we will see!

nutcase68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nutcase68 Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 3:24pm
post #10 of 11

I just read in one of my cake books to do a balloon, in this case the glove, get a 6" Styrofoam egg, or for the glove a ball.  Cut the ball in half or the egg where you could put a 6" cake on it.  Have a dowel run from the bottom of the cake and out the Styrofoam but shorter than your cake.  Dowel the cake to the Styrofoam.  Decorate.  Wish I could post the diagram here, but I don't know how to do that.  Don't forget your cardboard circle under the cake.

Cakes by Bri Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 4:29pm
post #11 of 11

AOh man I wish you could post the diagram too I'm very visual! This helps though!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%