Serious About: Gluten Free Baking!

Decorating By FromScratchSF Updated 21 Feb 2014 , 10:18pm by The_Sugar_Fairy

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 1:00am
post #31 of 49

A[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3069015/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

OK, have to share. I used my regular yellow cake recipe but used the flour blend recipe from the Simply Gluten book mentioned above. I used it 1:1 what I would use cake flour, and mixed it as I normally would.

SUCCESS.

Besides forgetting to turn my oven back down in my haste and over browning the tops, these are freakin delish. They still have a slight aftertaste but a vast improvement on my former recipe!

moonliter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moonliter Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 2:07am
post #32 of 49

I bake GF just as a hobby for some friends that need it. I have great success with taking just about any regular recipe, substituting for the flour: 3/4 part white rice flour and 1/4 part tapioca and that's it. no gums etc. BUT the trick is, and you have to do this or it will taste gross, you have to mix the flours with the liquid, or make up the entire recipe and let the batter sit for a few hours. the longer you let it sit, the better the flavor. depending on what the recipe calls for you can let it sit out on the counter or in the fridge. I found that on the internet awhile ago. It works. 

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 2:40am
post #33 of 49

My daughter has recently been diagnosed with CD and I am venturing into the GF world with both feet!  This has been a good read and I will be investing into some more experimentation.  Thanks for all the information!

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 3:52am
post #34 of 49

I realize I don't bake GF often but this thread has peek my curiosity into looking for alternatives to the common gums used in GF baking.   I came across this site on this subject and thought maybe some of you with more experience could chime in with your thoughts.  The Psyllium Fiber caught my eye.

http://gluten-free-bread.org/5-alternatives-to-xanthan-gum-and-guar-gum-in-gluten-free-baking

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 1:22pm
post #35 of 49

I don't bake gluten-free goods. But I know of somebody who does (I've heard she's very good). Here's a link to her blog.

http://sweetnessandbite.com

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 2:47pm
post #36 of 49

AOn a related note, the FDA finally approved their definition of "gluten-free" as <20ppm of gluten. If you label or advertise your foods as gluten-free you have one year to make sure you are compliant.

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm363069.htm

FromScratchSF Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 4:50pm
post #37 of 49

AJason this isn't in the business thread. Lets keep this to HOW to bake without wheat flour. I even asked that in my 1st post. Thanks.

jason_kraft Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 4:53pm
post #38 of 49

A

Original message sent by FromScratchSF

Jason this isn't in the business thread. Lets keep this to HOW to bake without wheat flour. I even asked that in my 1st post. Thanks.

No problem!

FromScratchSF Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 5:36pm
post #39 of 49

Athanks friend!

Also, you said sorghum is necessary, why? What does it bring to the party?

jason_kraft Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 6:03pm
post #40 of 49

AIn our R&D we found that sorghum flour was the closest match to wheat flour in both texture and flavor profile. Oat flour also worked well but there can be gluten cross-contamination issues with oats, so we decided sorghum was the safer choice.

CharBubble Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CharBubble Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 5:30pm
post #41 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF 

OK, have to share. I used my regular yellow cake recipe but used the flour blend recipe from the Simply Gluten book mentioned above. I used it 1:1 what I would use cake flour, and mixed it as I normally would.

SUCCESS.

Besides forgetting to turn my oven back down in my haste and over browning the tops, these are freakin delish. They still have a slight aftertaste but a vast improvement on my former recipe!

I'm glad the flour blend worked for you!

Misstaralyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misstaralyn Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 3:04am
post #42 of 49

Hey there!

I pretty much exclusively bake gluten free, as my company is geared toward all allergy sensitive baking.  I've done sugar free, egg free, dairy free, etc., etc.

Anyway, My personal flour blend uses superfine sweet white rice flour, tapioca flour, xanthan gum, potato starch, salt and cornstarch.  If you buy the superfine it is really not gritty at all!  I made some petit fours this weekend with one of my favorite pound cake recipes (substituted 1-for-1) and was VERY pleased.  Sometimes I find that I need to add just a little bit of extra fat (butter or oil - never shortening) for that extra fine crumb.  The cornstarch REALLY makes this flour like a 'cake flour' so the crumb is delicate, so if you are looking for more sturdy cake, I would leave that out.  No one (I mean NO ONE) that tastes my cakes, cupcakes or cookies ever guess that it is gluten free, my recipe is that good.  It took me a long time, but all good things do - right?

Tara

AshleyCF25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AshleyCF25 Posted 8 Nov 2013 , 6:35am
post #43 of 49

One question i have seen gluten free premixed all-purpose and cake flour in specialty stores does anyone know if i can use these as a sub. For regular flour in any cake recipe or if it’s better to find my own mix of flour substitute. I am new to the gluten free intolerance (only been diagnosed intolerant to gluten for two months) haven’t had a cake in that time because all the premade mixes i have found are awfully dry.thks

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Nov 2013 , 5:09pm
post #44 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyCF25 

One question i have seen gluten free premixed all-purpose and cake flour in specialty stores does anyone know if i can use these as a sub. For regular flour in any cake recipe or if it’s better to find my own mix of flour substitute. I am new to the gluten free intolerance (only been diagnosed intolerant to gluten for two months) haven’t had a cake in that time because all the premade mixes i have found are awfully dry.thks

i am very new to wheat free baking--yes you can sub the store bought flours--check the ingredients to see if they contain xanthan or guar gum and avoid doubling up on that in your recipe--i also want to mention that  the big reason to blend your own flours is cost--not to mention as evidenced by this thread--the results--but boy it's a gamble at first huh.

as a general rule of thumb gf flours follow the formula  2 parts grain, 2 parts starch,1 part protein--but if you read the ingredients on the different store bought blends they vary greatly from this 'formula'

for an all purpose gf flour blend 1 cup each:

• white rice flour
  • sorghum flour
  • tapioca flour* (jason said that tapioca starch is better)
  • cornstarch
  • almond or coconut flour

for a gf bread flour blend :

• 1 cup brown rice flour
  • 1 cup sorghum flour
  • 1 cup tapioca flour* (jason said that tapioca starch is better)
  • 1 cup cornstarch
  • 3/4 cup millet or chickopea flour
  • 1/3 cup instant mashed potatoes flakes

xanthan gum has been used for over 40 years to thicken and stabilize--it is made by fermenting a carbohydrate--usually corn syrup and it is a chain of sugars called polysaccharides--

i like gf recipes that eliminate flour altogether or use it incidently

jason, i am hoping you will comment on this post and give some guidance--thanks

-K8memphis Posted 8 Nov 2013 , 5:13pm
post #45 of 49

jason, i am hoping you will comment on my post and give some guidance--thanks

-K8memphis Posted 8 Nov 2013 , 7:26pm
post #46 of 49

i have another gf question though--one time i made 'cake flour' with that age old formula of adding cornstarch to all purpose flour and my pound cake tasted like corn--does the corn flavor come through in these gf flour formulas?

-K8memphis Posted 8 Nov 2013 , 7:38pm
post #47 of 49

and i would only make small quantities of the flour blends until i was sure of it--i would start out with quarter cups, not full cups--geez this is way too monstrous of a task because there's too many variables--that's why i like recipes with very little flour instead of just substituting--

AshleyCF25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AshleyCF25 Posted 9 Nov 2013 , 2:36am
post #48 of 49

thanks...

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 21 Feb 2014 , 10:18pm
post #49 of 49

Hi everyone, I've started gluten-free vegan baking (because I recently learned that I have an allergy to both gluten and dairy) and here's a recipe that I tried today...

http://www.bowandarrowartblog.blogspot.ca/2012/01/pretty-cake-recipe.html

It was by far the best gluten-free vegan recipe that I've tried and I've tried about five or six recipes over the last month.  The reason I chose this recipe is because it has coconut flour in it.  I wanted coconut flour in the recipe because I recently tried XO Baking Co. Gluten Free Vanilla Cake Mix and it was SOOOO good, so I wanted to find a recipe with that.  Also, choose it because Jason said Sorghum flour is a good ingredient and I agree because I made the best-ever banana bread with it.

The only thing is that I under-cooked the cupcakes a bit, damn!  Then I was out of ingredients to try again.  Therefore they were too dense (a bit like a muffin) but so good.  They need to be lighter and fluffier to be like a cupcake, but maybe it's just because I undercooked them a bit?  I'll try the recipe again next week and tell you how it goes.... or maybe someone can try the recipe and tell us what they think.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%