Need Ideas For Cake For Some Special Kids

Decorating By bikemom3 Updated 6 Aug 2013 , 12:05pm by bikemom3

bikemom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bikemom3 Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 2:55am
post #1 of 20

AHi all, I'll be donating cake next week for some homeless kids. A friend works there, so i know the shelter helps provide them with the basics food and school supplies. These kids have nothing! I know cake won't fix their problems but I want to put a smile on their faces....a BIG smile! Even if its just for a little while.The kids are ages 5-17 and are getting ready to go back to school soon. Any great FUN ideas????? I want to do something cool but gender neutral.

Thanks so much in advance!

19 replies
ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 3:06am
post #2 of 20

i don't have a specific idea, but i was thinking that you could decorate it so that each slice has an individual decor on it. kind of like getting the rose when you were a kid. it won't make the cake super creative, but i think it would be very pleasing to the kids to each have the special piece, you know what i mean?

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 3:20am
post #3 of 20

Depending on the age of the majority of the kids you could do cupcakes in ice cream cones. Depending on how much your cake mix rises - fill the cones half way then bake until cooked (round the same as muffins) top with 'soft serve looking buttercream. When that has set up pop a little ganache on top and some sprinkles. I just stand them in muffin tins to bake but the little flat bottomed ones are pretty stable so if you were careful a flat tray should be fine. I like to do a rainbow cake effect.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 3:27am
post #4 of 20

In my experience kids get more excited at something that just looks over the top than they do at a detailed little topper, at least younger kidlets.

This sort of style, looks like the ultimate goodie.

http://www.bakersroyale.com/cupcakes/peanut-butter-and-chocolate-cupcake/

bubs1stbirthday Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 3:52am
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by remnant3333 

I always heard that the cakes baked in the ice cream cones need to be eaten right away because the cone will get soggy pretty quickly. I have never made them but I read that one time.

Kids will pretty much be happy with any kind of cake. Especially kids that have nothing!!! This is a fantastic thing to do for the kids.  The kids will appreciate it a lot!!!

They seem to be good for a couple of days. :-) I use a fairly dry cake mix for them though - I don't know but that might make a difference.

bikemom3 Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 11:23am
post #6 of 20

AThanks everyone for your input! I'm excited to,do this, I know they'll love anything but I want it to be special for them.

bubs1stbirthday Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 12:44am
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikemom3 

Thanks everyone for your input! I'm excited to,do this, I know they'll love anything but I want it to be special for them.

Pop back and post a pic of what you do end up doing - it's such a lovely thing for you to do :-)

luvmykids2bits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmykids2bits Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 2:39am
post #8 of 20

I was just going to post a similar question, as I've done similar donations.  One thing I've found is that kids LOVE seeing their names written on the cake.  Is there any chance that you could find out the kid's names and then incorporate their names on the cake?  I'll include a picture of the latest one that I did for a group of kids who never have had a cake, to give you an idea.  It was super simple, but they were all crowding around to take pictures of their names. 

bikemom3 Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 2:54am
post #9 of 20

ANames are a great idea! I have some names but not all. I would hate to have a child show up and be disappointed because there name isn't on it. I think I'm going to do tiers, bright colors on white buttercream, and bouncers. Apparently they are very excited I got a list of ideas from the kids today that had everything from Sponge Bob, trucks, star wars, strawberry short cake and everything in between lol! Thanks again everyone

cakesbyliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyliz Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 7:26am
post #10 of 20

I had a similar cake to make last year and I made mini cakes for them. I made each one into a lovable little creature using a small 3 inch cake and cakepop mix. I didn't see the kids reactions but they loved being able to pick their own cake from the selection, and they loved that these were made just for them. I have attached a photo (sorry about the quality).

bikemom3 Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 10:45pm
post #11 of 20

well here is the cake...hope the kids like it tomorrow

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 11:28pm
post #12 of 20

adorable!!!

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 11:31pm
post #13 of 20

AOh! I love it!

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 11:32pm
post #14 of 20

AThat is awesome! So happy and festive. Great job.

PastryChefAnnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PastryChefAnnie Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 12:31am
post #15 of 20

AYou did a great job! I'm sure they loved it!

bubs1stbirthday Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 12:38am
post #16 of 20

That's great - they will love it!

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 12:39am
post #17 of 20

You nailed it!!! Love all the colors, stars and kids..gonna be some really happy kiddos!!

luvmykids2bits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmykids2bits Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 1:20am
post #18 of 20

Great job!

bikemom3 Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 2:31am
post #19 of 20

AThanks all! The former teacher in me had SO much fun doing this!

bikemom3 Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 12:05pm
post #20 of 20

AOf course the day I need to deliver this cake to these kids, it will be the hottest day of the year! Temperature of over 100 high humidity and heat indexes of 115! Yikes! Fingers crossed

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%