Help!! A Penny Board Cake!????

Decorating By Baking Queen Updated 2 Aug 2013 , 1:01am by Baking Queen

Baking Queen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking Queen Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 7:00pm
post #1 of 15

AHello everyone! Okay so this client asked me to make a penny board cake which I believe to be just a type of skateboard...?(you may be able to tell so far that I have NO IDEA what I got myself into lol!!) Anyway, I'm wondering how to assemble this cake.. I think I am going to use to semicircles and a carved sheet cake but how would I do the wheels? I wanted to originally do them out of donuts, but how would I atrach them to the cake..?ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!

14 replies
Baking Queen Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 7:02pm
post #2 of 15

AOops sorry for the typos;)

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 7:05pm
post #3 of 15

fyi, a penny board is a smaller skateboard and the deck is plastic, 

http://www.pennyskateboardsonline.com/

as for attaching the wheels, i'd think you would use skewers, but i'm sure someone with more exp will be along.

Baking Queen Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 11:43am
post #4 of 15

AThanks for your advice:) ANYONE ELSE I'M DESPERATE PLEASE!!??

knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knlcox Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 11:53am
post #5 of 15

I think skewers would work well. Will your cake sit on styrofoam or something to make it look lifted off the table as if the wheels are lifting it? lol I hope I'm not confusing you.  You can just push the skewers into the styrofoam. 

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 11:59am
post #6 of 15

Ahttp://www.pennyskateboards.com/

They're customized skateboards, so if the recipient has one or is getting one it would probably be a good idea to use their design.

How many do you need this to feed and what's your budget? If it was me I'd make a customized board (in the shape of the skateboard) with real wheels attached and build the cake onto that. That would be a pretty expensive cake for me though, I charge extra for carved cakes and of course the extra time for building the structure as well as assembly-but I think it would be really cool! I want to make one now lol.

I believe the blog 'That Really Frosts Me' has a tutorial for a skateboard cake

knlcox Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 12:07pm
post #8 of 15

That's a pretty easy tutorial! It shouldn't be hard if the OP wants to do that! Where's part 2??? lol  Now I want to make one just to see how it comes out.  

Smckinney07 Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 12:40pm
post #9 of 15

Ahttp://www.thatreallyfrostsme.com/2012/02/skateboard-cake-part-2-assembly.html

http://www.thatreallyfrostsme.com/2012/02/skateboard-cake-part-3-painting.html

Part 3 has the wheels, I think she used styrofoam. There isn't even that much carving. I know I want to make one too lol! I'm not as good with structures as you are though, I've seen your cakes-very impressive!

I have tons of tools and saws, I've decided to work on some more detailed structures. It's one of many on my cake list of this to master :)

knlcox Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 12:48pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smckinney07 

http://www.thatreallyfrostsme.com/2012/02/skateboard-cake-part-2-assembly.html

http://www.thatreallyfrostsme.com/2012/02/skateboard-cake-part-3-painting.html

Part 3 has the wheels, I think she used styrofoam. There isn't even that much carving.
I know I want to make one too lol! I'm not as good with structures as you are though, I've seen your cakes-very impressive!

I have tons of tools and saws, I've decided to work on some more detailed structures. It's one of many on my cake list of this to master icon_smile.gif

Thanks! The structure is what makes the cake, I've learned.  Right now I'm working on a 3D car cake and a standing guitar cake.  I'm really excited about the guitar!

Back to the post:   That is a great tutorial and it's really easy to follow! Now if t he OP doesn't want to go through all the trouble of actually building a bottom structure, the cake can also be placed on wood or cake boards to give it the lifted look.  Then add the wheels to the sides.  It's easier.  I would love to try to build that structure though.  lol

Baking Queen Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 12:13pm
post #11 of 15

ATj[quote name="knlcox" url="/t/761728/help-a-penny-board-cake#post_7424065"]Thanks! The structure is what makes the cake, I've learned.  Right now I'm working on a 3D car cake and a standing guitar cake.  I'm really excited about the guitar!

Back to the post:   That is a great tutorial and it's really easy to follow! Now if t he OP doesn't want to go through all the trouble of actually building a bottom structure, the cake can also be placed on wood or cake boards to give it the lifted look.  Then add the wheels to the sides.  It's easier.  I would love to try to build that structure though.  lol [/quote thank you both for your great links and enthusiasm!! I don't like to really build structures for cakes much as that is my weak point and the reason I'm nervous for this cake, so I may just put it on a cake board and make fondant wheels to go on the sides with grass all around to cover up the height of the cake a bit(as penny boards are flat not humungus) Any ideas on elevating the cake on a board without any carpentry involved?? Thanks again so much:)

Smckinney07 Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 12:39pm
post #12 of 15

AI agree! Looking forward to seeing them. Also, good luck with the skateboard design! I think this would be a fun cake to make!

knlcox Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 3:48pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baking Queen 

Tj
Quote:
Originally Posted by knlcox 

Thanks! The structure is what makes the cake, I've learned.  Right now I'm working on a 3D car cake and a standing guitar cake.  I'm really excited about the guitar!

Back to the post:   That is a great tutorial and it's really easy to follow! Now if t he OP doesn't want to go through all the trouble of actually building a bottom structure, the cake can also be placed on wood or cake boards to give it the lifted look.  Then add the wheels to the sides.  It's easier.  I would love to try to build that structure though.  lol
[/quote thank you both for your great links and enthusiasm!! I don't like to really build structures for cakes much as that is my weak point and the reason I'm nervous for this cake, so I may just put it on a cake board and make fondant wheels to go on the sides with grass all around to cover up the height of the cake a bit(as penny boards are flat not humungus) Any ideas on elevating the cake on a board without any carpentry involved?? Thanks again so much:)

Yes!  You can use a glue gun and glue cake boards together and stack them on top of each other until you get the desired height you're needing.  Or you can glue styrofoam or wooden boards or anything to give you the desired height.  Just glue them to the cake board.  Paint them black so it's not so noticeable.  I did this with my motorcycle cake.  I stacked a couple of boards under the body for support and painted them black. 

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 5:21pm
post #14 of 15

I have made a skateboard cake before for my nephew but I made it where it was flipped over and the wheels where sitting on top.  It was much easier that way and most skateboards don't have the cool pictures on top since they have to have that non-sliding/sandpaper stuff on the top so they don't slip. 

Baking Queen Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 1:01am
post #15 of 15

A

Original message sent by reginaherrin

I have made a skateboard cake before for my nephew but I made it where it was flipped over and the wheels where sitting on top.  It was much easier that way and most skateboards don't have the cool pictures on top since they have to have that non-sliding/sandpaper stuff on the top so they don't slip.  [URL=http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3068802/] [/URL]

Wow what a great cake!! (I wish my client wanted the cake to be flipped over like that, but insisted on it supported from wheels underneath) The cake turned out great though! Will see if the client is happy tomorrow morning as it took all day to do! Ended up making the wheels from fondant and dowel rods together covered in fondant to support cake and wheels. I also made the elevated rump of the board with rice crispies and covered the whole cake in fondant. I am so pleased with how it turned out:) Thank you again everyone for the help! Hope I inspired you to go out and make a skateboard cake now..lol!! Happy decorating:)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%