Would This Spoil?

Decorating By CakeRae80 Updated 9 Aug 2013 , 11:18pm by Sassyzan

CakeRae80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRae80 Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 4

I'm making a cake that everything can sit out after it's done, except the filling possibly.  The cake is going to have a RKT turtle on the top that is covered in fondant and have fondant legs & tail that will be lay beside him on the cake (I know it sounds weird but it's not when it's done).

Anyway, below is a recipe that I used for the lemon filling that they want and since there were egg yolks in it, I'm not sure I can let it sit out of the fridge over night.  It gets delivered tomorrow right after I get off of work, so I don't have time to do it when I get home.

• 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup cold water
  • 2 egg yolks slightly beaten
  • 1 teaspoon lemon peel grated
  • juice of a medium lemon
  • 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in a small saucepan. Gradually add water and whisk until well blended. Whisk in egg yolks, lemon peel and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until thick and bubbly. Boil one minute; remove from heat. Stir in butter. Cool to room temperature, without stirring

I know there are lots of things like the cake for example that have eggs cooked in them and it's fine sitting out.  This was just an odd one to me.  TIA!!

3 replies
Poshcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Poshcakes Posted 9 Aug 2013 , 8:58pm
post #2 of 4

The egg yolks in lemon pie filling may be eliminated completely or replaced. When eliminating the egg yolks, add another tablespoon of cornstarch (or unflavored gelatin) with a little water (to make up for the yolk liquid) in the filling to make up for the loss of thickening power. Since egg yolks contribute not only flavor but color as well, you may want to add a drop or so of yellow food color to the filling. 

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 9 Aug 2013 , 9:20pm
post #3 of 4

the boiling temp is 212 degrees the temp required to kill salmonella is 160. Sugar also acts as a preservative. I know I can use 1 cup of sugar and 4 egg whites in icing, heating to 160 degrees and it will be a nonhazardous food item. That's all I can tell you without having your food tested for PH and water levels.

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 9 Aug 2013 , 11:18pm
post #4 of 4

AIf you're not married to that recipe, just google "shelf stable lemon filling" and try something new. Or just refrigerate the whole cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%