Best Time To Buy Fondant

Decorating By evobaker Updated 1 Aug 2013 , 8:16pm by BatterUpCake

evobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evobaker Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 4:27pm
post #1 of 12

Could I buy now a fondant if I'm going to use it 3 weeks from now? and where do you suggest to buy a satin ice brand? my location is Los Angeles. I will be using it for just one layer simple cake size 12 inch round cake. I'm just a beginner and really want to make my own for my son.

I would much appreciate your help.icon_smile.gif

11 replies
DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 12

AFondant is good for at lest a year

evobaker Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 5:03pm
post #3 of 12

AThank you DeliciousDesserts

I think i've to research for the rest of my questions. My sons baptism is 3weeks from now but if you have any suggestions. Feel free to reply. Have a good day!

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 6:04pm
post #4 of 12

AI personally like global sugar art. You can also purchase from Amazon, fondant source, & many many others.

therealmrsriley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
therealmrsriley Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 6:22pm
post #5 of 12

There are lots of places you can order fondant. But if you have a Michael's store near you they sell the Duff brand of fondant. I think it tastes ok, is easy to work with and it comes in different colors. It's no Satin Ice but it's an option if you want to go to a store to purchase fondant. Coupons for Michael's are easily accessible too. You can download the app on your phone or go on their website and print coupons. They don't sell a wide variety of fondant brands, however. So if you'd like other brands then you can try the recommendations from DeliciousDesserts. I've order from them all with great results.

judylp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
judylp Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 6:59pm
post #6 of 12

AI love this place in Pico Rivera called Bakers Bodega. They carry satin ice and other brands of fondant and it's pretty comparable in pricing to online sites without havibg ti oay te shipping vosts. You can even call them up and they will get your whole order ready for you to pick up.

evobaker Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 10:00pm
post #7 of 12

AOh wow! I would think about those suggestion and i will try them this week!!!!

Thanks a lot everyone!

evobaker Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 10:15pm
post #8 of 12

A:D

Marielijah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marielijah Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 5:43pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by judylp 

I love this place in Pico Rivera called Bakers Bodega. They carry satin ice and other brands of fondant and it's pretty comparable in pricing to online sites without havibg ti oay te shipping vosts. You can even call them up and they will get your whole order ready for you to pick up.

I too love this place.  Their prices are extremely reasonable and they have a large supply of just about everything you need.  They are located on Paramount Blvd in Pico Rivera.

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 7:03pm
post #10 of 12

I was at Restaurant Depot today and they have 15# Pettinice fondant for $40. I didn't get it because I didn't know if that was a good price since I always make mine, but I just seen on GSA they sell it for $59.99! Evo, have you considered making your own fondant. I make mine with just 10oz bag of marshmallows, a 2 lb bag of confectioner's sugar (10X), and 2 Tbsp of water. Then flavor with vanilla, lemon, or whatever. It is super easy.

evobaker Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 8:00pm
post #11 of 12

ABatterUpCake i tried that and my dough turns loose. I think my mistake is i put 1/4 cup of water and 1 cup confectioner's sugar which is not enough. But i'll try it again... It's my first time so wish me luck

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 8:16pm
post #12 of 12

No!! lol..2 lbs of sugar....the 4 tbsp of liquid is equivalent to 1/4 cap but if you then add flavoring you will need more sugar. Before using it they recommend wrapping it in plastic wrap overnight but I have used it immediately before with success

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%