Buttercream Recipes

Baking By Britterfly Updated 30 Jul 2013 , 5:09pm by CakeRae80

Britterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Britterfly Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 10:22pm
post #1 of 7

What recipe do you use for crusting buttercream? I always use the Wilton BC recipe, but I use shortening instead of butter so it doesn't spoil. I like the Wilton recipe & I'm used to working with it, but I always feel like there could be another recipe out there that does the same job, but tastes better. Just curious what everyone else uses

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 4:18am
post #2 of 7

Here is a great one.  As posted it is NON crusting BUT........there  is a 'fix' towards the end.  Be sure to read all the replies for helpful hints.

belindaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
belindaking Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 4:22am
post #3 of 7

AI use the Wilton with all butter. It doesn't spoil-- the sugar acts as a preservative. :)

texas_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texas_mom Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 4:36am
post #4 of 7

For my recipe I use one Crisco baking bar, a 2 pound bag of confectioners sugar which I place in my mixing bowl and I slowing at milk to the Crisco and sugar while it is mixing until it is a fluffy but stiff consistency.  It has never failed me when using it to frost a cake and piping  my decorations and it is perfect for when I need a crumb coat. 

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 5:02am
post #5 of 7

AI use to use Crisco but now think that's gross. .....so I switched to high ratio shortening. .it taste so much better...than instead of using water I use heavy whipping cream . It makes it yummy.

texas_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texas_mom Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 3:58pm
post #6 of 7

I don't have access to high ratio shortening so I am forced to use Crisco but I use more sugar compared to the shortening I use so I don't taste the Crisco so much.  I always use milk.  I am making cupcakes today so I am going to use whipping cream and give it a try.

CakeRae80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRae80 Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 5:09pm
post #7 of 7

I use the Wilton one as well but I do half and half, half unsalted butter and half crisco.  Everyone that I've made cakes for loves it.  They don't think that it is too sweet either.  It also crusts nicely. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%