Cottage Food Act..... Where Do I Go From Here?

Business By ashleybakes Updated 29 Jul 2013 , 6:59pm by howsweet

ashleybakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleybakes Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 6:04pm
post #1 of 5

I had been under the assumption that, since I was not licensed to be a home baker, I wouldn't be baking for much of a profit but mostly because I just really LOVE baking. Finally, I found the time between school, baby, housework to look into the Cottage Food Act and I. AM. THRILLED. I can actually legally sell my creations and spread my joy icon_biggrin.gif But now I don't know where to go from here. I had my fiancee draw me up some small basic business cards with matching food labels that I will be able to copy and past my ingredient list. But I would really love to make this a supplemental income so I am able to stay home with my daughter once I get my Bachelors degree in December. I don't need much coming in since we make it on just his income now, but I would like to spread the word and hopefully get people interested in having me make their treats :D

Those of you in the states with the Cottage Food Act, what did you do other than word of mouth?

4 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 5

ACheck out the "Starting a Business" article linked in my signature below for an overview of the steps involved in starting a successful business.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 6:42pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleybakes  I don't need much coming in since we make it on just his income now, but I would like to spread the word and hopefully get people interested in having me make their treats :D

Those of you in the states with the Cottage Food Act, what did you do other than word of mouth?

May I assume you're making high end cakes since you made reference to your "creations"?  Finding appropriate customers can be a challenge as most of us don't have lots of friends and acquaintances who can afford and like to buy expensive cakes. What can happen is that when you start quoting prices, a lot of people will be shocked and appalled because they don't understand the skill and time involved in making these cakes. For some reason the reaction tends not to be, "I guess can't afford that type of cake", but instead that you are price gouging. It doesn't help that they may know a cheap cake lady who works for less than minimum wage. That can give a person the wrong impression that people in his/her area just don't pay much for cake. It may just be that you don't know the people who will pay fair price for your cake. My recommendation is a good website with good visibility.

ashleybakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleybakes Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 6:50pm
post #4 of 5

AThank you, HowSweet. I used "creations" because I want to sell more than cakes and cupcakes as I enjoy making more than just that. However, I think as I gain experience my cakes are steadily becoming more high end. I have noticed that a lot of people who ask how much a cake would cost seem to be shocked that it costs more for specialty fillings or gumpaste figures etc.

My fiancee suggested decorating the faux cakes (I believe they are Styrofoam) in order to expand my portfolio and be able to fill a website gallery. Does anyone have thoughts on this strategy?

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 6:59pm
post #5 of 5

Yes, that's a great thing to do! Take the picture, then redecorate. Unless it's a dummy cake you're saving for display, of course.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%