Timeline For Cake Decorating

Decorating By jujubeesmama Updated 31 Jul 2013 , 9:06am by darkchocolate

jujubeesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jujubeesmama Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 13

Hello everyone. Please take a look at my timeline and methods and let me know if you have any input. These are pretty extensive cakes I have to make over the next two weeks and want to make sure they will work on this timeline. If you see anything wrong please let me know!

I am making a cake for Saturday. I know I can make gumpaste/fondant figures early. I am going to bake my cake today (Monday) and freeze it overnight. I am also going to make my MMF and Ganache today and store both in the fridge.

Tuesday- I am going to make my figures.

Wed- I am going to finish making decorations, put ganache on the cake after letting it hit room temp and having filled the layers with some sort of buttercreme or similiar icing. I am going to let it set overnight on the counter at room temp or in fridge?. I am also going ot make my RCT jelly fish for the top.

Thursday- I am going to add the fondant overlay and decorate.

Friday-Finish decorating

Sat-PARTY! So technically the cake will be out on the counter from Wed to Sat if I let ganche set on counter, or thrus to sat if I let it set in fridge. Which is better?? putting fondant overlay dont forget!

Also, if I am doing the bottom layer in pound cake and the top layer in a lighter chocolate cake (recipe using boiled water) do I need to use dowells to support it or will it be okay without?

12 replies
darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 1:55pm
post #2 of 13

I tend to bake on Thursday or the earliest Wed. if I need a cake for Saturday.  I only do this for fun (family and friends) so I am no expert.  I also don't freeze my cakes, so I am no help there.

I like using the WASC cake and once it has a crumb coating, my cakes stay fresh tasting for at least a week.

I will be baking Thursday morning (early), crumb coating and allowing my cakes to settle all day.  I hope to smooth coat and possibly put the fondant on Thursday night.  If not, I will put the fondant on Friday.

Was size cakes are you covering?  I am covering a 6" and 9" round cake (4"high) for this week-end.  I have only covered one cake and that was 6 or 7 years ago, I have no idea how much I made or how much it took.  I made Rhonda's Ultimate MMF, but I am not sure 1 batch will be enough.  What do you think?

darkchocolate Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 2:03pm
post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujubeesmama 

Also, if I am doing the bottom layer in pound cake and the top layer in a lighter chocolate cake (recipe using boiled water) do I need to use dowells to support it or will it be okay without?

Yes, please dowel, or your top cake will have no support and sink into the bottom layer.  I always used straws for a 6"' cake on top. Make sure your top cake is on a cake board the same size. The cake board will rest on your dowel support system on the bottom layer. Please post pictures as well.                                                                  I just received my SPS system and will be using that on my cake for this week-end.

jujubeesmama Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 4:42pm
post #4 of 13

Thanks.  I will post pictures after it is completed.  I am doing a spongebob cake for my daughters 2nd birthday. Believe it or not, shes really into spongebob. I knows shes a little young to watch but..sometimes Mommy has to clean her house!

jujubeesmama Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 4:43pm
post #5 of 13

@Dark chocolate, I am govering a 12 and an 8 inch round cakes.  Both will probably have 2 or 3 layers. Its been awhile, so I wont know until I see them cooked how many layers I need.

jujubeesmama Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 4:44pm
post #6 of 13

what are your favorite mmf recipes? This will be my first time.

Chelseycarrigan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chelseycarrigan Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 4:47pm
post #7 of 13

what is mmf?

jujubeesmama Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 4:50pm
post #8 of 13

Marshamllow fondant. VERY cheap to make, and is softer than regular fondant.  Alot of people use this mixed with gumpaste to make figures and use plain marshmallow fondant to cover cakes in.  Supposedly it tastes alot better than fondant which most people hate the taste of.  I only learned about it on here!

darkchocolate Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 6:02pm
post #9 of 13

Rhonda's Ultimate MMF

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3183-Rhondas-Ultimate-MMF.html                                                                          

15 oz. mini marshmallows                          

2 T water                                                       

1/2 tsp. salt                                                     

2 tsp. lemon juice (fresh or bottled)           

2 tsp. light corn syrup (helps w/ pliability)

1 tsp. vanilla (prefer almond extract)         

2 lbs. (approx 7.5 C) confectioner's sugar, sifted

1/2 C Crisco or vegetable shortening              

Grease microwave proof bowl w/ Crisco. Also grease wooden or heat proof spoon. Pour marshmallows and water into bowl. Microwave for approximately 2 minutes (or less depending on how big of batch you are making) stopping and stirring at 40 second intervals. Mixture should be soupy.

Take out of microwave and immediately add corn syrup, lemon juice, salt and extract. Stir well. Sift confectioner's sugar into mixture, one cup at a time. I mix mine with a dough hook in my Kitchen Aid stand mixer. Now grease your work surface well and turn mixture out of bowl onto counter. Grease your hands with Crisco, and knead well. If mixture seems soft, add additional powdered sugar.

Shape into a mound and put a coating of Crisco on outside. Double wrap in cling wrap and insert into Ziplock bag. Press air out of bag and seal. Allow to rest overnight, but, can be used after sitting for a few hours.

Quote:

what are your favorite mmf recipes? This will be my first time.

kcassano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcassano Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 1:55am
post #10 of 13

Adont store the ganache in the fridge --it will be rock hard and a pain to get back to a workable consistency. i always store my ganache (and fondant for that matter) in the fridge. it will also speed up the setting time for the ganache expedentially.

kcassano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcassano Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 1:56am
post #11 of 13

Athat probably didnt make sense... keep ganche on airtight container at room temp. keep ganach covered cake in fridge ;)

jujubeesmama Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 5:23am
post #12 of 13

Here is the cake topper I just finished.  Hoping he holds up.  It was my first time working with MMF and second time working with gumpaste.  Pretty good for a starter!

darkchocolate Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 9:06am
post #13 of 13
Quote:

Here is the cake topper I just finished.  Hoping he holds up.  It was my first time working with MMF and second time working with gumpaste.  Pretty good for a starter!

I think you did a great job!  Did you like the MMF?  Which recipe did you use?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%