Looked Beautiful! Tasted Dry! Freaking Out!!! Customer Wants To Cancel Next Order Please Help

Decorating By kellyd01 Updated 13 Sep 2013 , 7:26am by Kakeesha

TessRA01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TessRA01 Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 7:14am
post #31 of 42

I find cake mixes are too moist and don't really like them but this could be why the 'scratch' cake was deemed dry in comparison if the lady getting married was more used to mixes.  I would say here in the UK mixes only really tend to be used for say school cake stall days or something.  I expect the cake actually had that lovely home baked taste that is quite different (in a good way) to mixes.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 8:32am
post #32 of 42

A

Original message sent by paulstonia

Since it's a scratch cake and they obviously liked your cake at their tasting ( they ordered from you), I wonder if her sister refrigerated the cake and served it still cold. That could explain it seeming dry, cake, especially from scratch, really should be served at room temperature.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I wonder if it was served cold.

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 9 Aug 2013 , 1:24am
post #33 of 42

Hope everything worked out ok. Are you still making her cake? I also think someone else said they could make it a lot cheaper. I hope you stick to your contract.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 9 Aug 2013 , 3:35am
post #34 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSituationz 

:....a simple syrup on top of your cakes......I use 1cup of sugar and 1cup of water......

I haven't put it on cakes yet, but it is great for Mixed Drinks, margaritas and iced tea. 

MBalaska Posted 9 Aug 2013 , 3:37am
post #35 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmom 

I am wondering the real reason behind the cancellation.  Something else is up.  However, I think you have every right to collect your money, so definitely collect it!

Agreed.  Something else is up, and she may never know what it is.  Keep your money, you've already earned it !!!

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 9 Aug 2013 , 3:12pm
post #36 of 42

AWhy not just tell her that can can brush on a simple syrup before icing her cake which will add more moisture?

smokeysmokerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smokeysmokerton Posted 10 Aug 2013 , 11:33am
post #37 of 42

I served a Hershey cake cold once and I could not figure out why this normally moist cake was so dry. It was baked the day before, covered with saran wrap until it was iced...I was stumped. I think this could explain a lot of instances where people complain about dry cake even though the baker's scraps are fine. How do you get around that when you use a perishable filling that needs to be refrigerated?

MBalaska Posted 10 Aug 2013 , 6:36pm
post #38 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokeysmokerton 
I served a Hershey cake cold once and I could not figure out why this normally moist cake was so dry.............How do you get around that when you use a perishable filling that needs to be refrigerated?

Hershey cupcakes are delicious.  I often make a small batch of Chocolate 'Chip' ganache ( I know ... it's not the fancy pants chocolate) it's cheaper.

Anyhow, while it's still warm and runny I spoon it on top of a cupcake and spread it around to the edges of the paper liners with the spoon.   Then later I ice them.

Would this also make a kind of seal helping to keep moisture in., I don't know.  I just do it for the flavor and the little extra pop of chocolate.  But it's a thought.

just4fun26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just4fun26 Posted 10 Aug 2013 , 6:58pm
post #39 of 42

AIMO if you offer her another cake to sample, you are admitting your cake was in fact dry. That being said, it could have been served cold, making it dry. YOU know your cakes, I would stick to the contract and if she cancels, it's in writing.

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 3:51pm
post #40 of 42

ASo, what happened? Did you make the wedding cake?

Cakespirations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakespirations Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 3:57pm
post #41 of 42

Are you sure this isn't someone who is just trying to get out of a contract. I have heard people have done some strange things to do so.

Kakeesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kakeesha Posted 13 Sep 2013 , 7:26am
post #42 of 42

I only joined today but would love to know the outcome here.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%