Uk Bakers, Question About Gluten Free Regulations?

Business By Mel37 Updated 29 Jul 2013 , 8:58am by Mel37

Mel37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mel37 Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 10:53am
post #1 of 3

AMorning!

A question for anyone UK based (no offence to those over the pond, but its a 'legal ' query!) but does anyone know what the actual legal regulations are for selling gluten free cakes?

Im starting up making cakes etc officially at the moment, and I contacted the TSA about this, but got confusing/conflicting information! One person said as long as I was using specific GF flour etc and all ingrediants were stored separately it was fine - I even asked about the need to use separate equipment and he said it wasn't required as long as everything was thoroughly washed.

However I replied asking to clarify labelling (apparently you dont need to for made to order products) and another lady came back and said you can't say you do gluten free unless you can prove your products contain less than 20ppm gluten! No idea how you would even go about that?!

I see loads of home baking businesses advertising they sell GF cakes, are they 'flying below the radar' or have they had their products tested? Think I'm missing something here - or at least I hope so...

My sister is coeliac and I've been baking for her for years, and have several great recipes I'd love to be able to advertise that I can make, but it's sounding like its more hassle than its worth at the moment :/

X

2 replies
auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mel37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mel37 Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 8:58am
post #3 of 3

AHi Auzzi,

Thanks for the links, I have seen most of them before but I'm actually after some info specifically related to 'made to order' cake making to confirm what I can do?

These regs are rather general and I was just hoping to get something definitive and specific if others have got better advice from the TSA or FSA?

I think that as I use Doves Farm GF flours etc in any cakes I m covered under the Parnuts food regs, and I can use the GF claim, but as I don't make the GF flours, I am not sure on where I stand?

X

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%