Any Ideas On How To Make A Two Toned Wedding Cake? Like This...

Decorating By CakesByAsher Updated 30 Sep 2014 , 5:32pm by Chloezee

CakesByAsher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByAsher Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 2:27am
post #1 of 22

The Bride doesn't want fondant and she wants the inside to be Chocolate cake under the white side and White cake under the brown side. Any helpful tips on how to pull this off would be greatly appreciated.

21 replies
Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 7:10am
post #2 of 22

AThat's ridiculous! And using different batter for each side of each tier will be a PITA, you could use those batter seperators but I'd simply make a few tiers chocolate and a few vanilla.

You have to do fondant for the swags but honestly I'd insist on using fondant for this design. You could use buttercream but it won't work under the melted ganache glaze on the dark side-I think the BC will try to melt once you pour the ganache on but you could try it.

You will have to be very, very good at BC to get this clean, classic look.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 9:10am
post #3 of 22

I simply fold a strip of aluminum foil and use it to separate my pans in half, then use some weight on one side, like a clean plastic fondant bucket (with water in it) to hold the foil up, and keep it straight. Then I add the batter to the empty side, then take the buckets out and fill the other side with the other batter. Take the foil out before baking, by dragging it out longways, through your fingers, to clean off the excess batter. 

Hope that is clear, I wish I had seen this sooner, since I did it at about 1 am, I'd have taken a picture or two. I still can, just remind me, after 4pm. 

Alternately, bake one layer white, then the other chocolate, and cut them in half, and stack white on white, choc on choc. Stick together with icing. I would insist on fondant for this method, so they don't fall apart in transport. 

The hard part will be keeping the sides labeled, so you can line them up, keeping the chocolate on the chocolate side, and same for white.

Charge extra for either method!!!

Ganache doesn't have to be that hot to pour, and I would start with cold cake. I could do this in buttrcream, no problem Can you? If not, then don't! The drapes still have to be fondant, though. 

Cool idea, time consuming, though

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 9:23am
post #4 of 22

AI wouldn't have thought to split the cakes, then layer. Good idea! But lining them all up was my concern. I'd just think serving would be easier if she did different layers, I suppose if it's cut properly it wouldn't matter.

CakesByAsher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByAsher Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 3:50pm
post #5 of 22

Thanks ya'll so  much for all the feedback. Now that I have slept on it, I'm probably going to have to tell her that I can only do it in fondant. My BC work isn't terrible or anything but it's not good enough for this. It is a very beautiful cake but I'm not sure that my skill level is up to par for the way she has invisioned this cake. I think different flavored layers will be the safer way. Thank you all.

bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 10:18pm
post #6 of 22

Different flavors in each tier I could see but each layer a different flavor (or alternating) would defeat the purpose imo. I am a chocolate fan, my husband prefers vanilla. I just dump both into the pan (simultaneously) on opposite sides and it is half and half. They do make cake daddies that you can hold in the middle but I find it to be a pain.

shelawson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelawson Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 12:01am
post #7 of 22

AYou could do a white chocolate ganache on the white side and a regular chocolate on the brown. Then use a bottle to make the drizzled and pipe on the design for the other side. To make the drape use molding chocolate. For the cake use the pan seperators.

practiceandpatience Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
practiceandpatience Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 1:30am
post #8 of 22

I actually made this same cake last month (see attached) and did cover it in buttercream, swags did have to be in fondant, as I could find no way to do those in buttercream. as you can see the poured ganache worked just fine. I would suggest using a batter separator to make the layers 1/2 white and 1/2 chocolate, as I believe cutting layers and putting them back together would compromise the stability for stacking that high. I would also suggest using SPS, which I now swear by, as this cake was transported 40 miles completely constructed over very hilly roads and made it in perfect condition!

lubbyanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lubbyanne Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 5:41am
post #9 of 22

What about using modeling choc for white there are recipes all over cake decorating it works better than fondant. and so much better to eat hope it works gl pat

icinglady1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icinglady1 Posted 30 Jul 2013 , 8:11pm
post #10 of 22

Beautiful job on that buttercream cake Michelle

LIllybell23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LIllybell23 Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 3:35pm
post #11 of 22

this is probably a stupid question but what is sps? because that kind of stability sounds amazing! :)

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 3:38pm
post #12 of 22

Not a stupid question at all. It is Single Plate Separator system. Not expensive either!

LIllybell23 Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 3:42pm
post #13 of 22

Thank you!  I will have to give it a try!  You did an amazing job on that cake by the way!! 

BatterUpCake Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 3:58pm
post #14 of 22

Which cake?

LIllybell23 Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 4:06pm
post #15 of 22

I actually thought that you were the person who had posted the two toned cake sorry my mistake!  but then I looked at your cakes and they are all really good but my favorite is the retirement cake with the flag!! :)  everything is so smooth and perfect on it!

BatterUpCake Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 4:07pm
post #16 of 22

I wish I did that cake! lol Thank you

LIllybell23 Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 4:17pm
post #17 of 22

me too!  your welcome though and your cakes are super awesome I'm sure you could do that one if you tried it!

practiceandpatience Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
practiceandpatience Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 1:33am
post #18 of 22

Hi Lillybell23, like Batterupcake said, the sps is short for single plate separator, with this system, there are posts that attach to a plate, (that's the key!) the posts go through the cake and sit on the plate below. Leah, here on cake central has a really great thread on using this system. and that is where I heard about it. I ordered the plates and posts from Global sugar, and again like Batterupcake said, they are not very expensive.

LIllybell23 Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 11:21am
post #19 of 22

Thank you!  I hate the stress of worrying that things are not stable and I can't imagine traveling with one already assembled!  this way sounds a lot more sturdy than the dowel rods and cardboard separators.

BatterUpCake Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 12:55pm
post #20 of 22

You still need the cardboard. There is a tutorial on youtube

LIllybell23 Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 3:56pm
post #21 of 22

Okie doke I'll look it up! Thanks :)

Chloezee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chloezee Posted 30 Sep 2014 , 5:32pm
post #22 of 22

I know I'm really late on this post - but have only recently discovered this. How about putting fondant over the whole thing and painting and piping the brown section to look like that? So that THAT side of the cake doesn't dry out (or is it supposed to be a naked cake on that side?) wow. Would love to know what you did do in the end

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%