Friday Night Cake Club 7/26/13

Decorating By catlharper Updated 28 Jul 2013 , 4:27am by Norasmom

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 2:43am
post #1 of 30

Opening up another session of the FNCC! Who's up? What are you working on? This is for anyone who wants to share their week, share photos, ask questions or try to answer someones question here. Everyone is welcome!

Cat

29 replies
catlharper Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 2:46am
post #2 of 30

Hi everyone!

I'm in San Jose again tonight. Had to drop off a wedding cake in Palo Alto. This means I don't have photos yet to put up here but I will have them ready tomorrow and then I'll put one up here. Long story that I'll post when I post the photo.

I have another wedding cake Wednesday so I'll share that next week. Hoping to see lots of photos tonight!

Cat

Brettley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brettley Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 3:23am
post #3 of 30

Good evening Cat!

We jut got back from our vacation to Minneapolis on Wednesday:) What a great family trip that was!

Slow weekend back, which is what I wanted. Figured I wouldn't have much energy, and boy was I right! I am working on a 3 tier sunset Luau cake, and a pirate treasure cake for tomorrow. I have an Escape from Planet Earth cake for Sunday... which I am still not 100% sure what I will be doing with that one. Oye and there are like NO cakes whatsoever on it to look at for inspiration, so just pulling this one out of my butt! Anyway, I just finished painting the Sunset tiers red graduating to yellow at the top, waiting for it to dry now and I will put the bamboo and hibiscus flowers on it. Should have that finished in the next couple of hours so I will post in a bit.

Can't wait to see the wedding cake! None for me this weekend, but back-at-er starting next weekend. Holiday=over for now:)

catlharper Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 3:37am
post #4 of 30

I loved the movie Escape from Planet Earth so your cake should be tons of fun! Think of how many people you can inspire with YOUR cake! And, of course, beach baby here, I love anything to do with the ocean, the beach, or Hawaii, so I'm looking forward to that cake too!

Cat

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 4:06am
post #5 of 30

Hi Cat and Brettley, 

No decorated cakes for me this week , Our cake club branch is celebrating it's 30th Birthday so I have been cooking for the party we are having tomorrow. 

So far I have made three cheesecakes, lemon lime and ginger, strawberry and coconut cream. 

Four filled cob loaves, two seafood and two ham, cheese, herbs and onion. 

Fifty stuffed mushrooms, a sweet potato and feta salad, 

I still have the rice paper duck rolls , onion tarts, feta and tomato tarts, smoked salmon rolls, mini quiches and a tirimisu to go, 

Wish me luck . I look forward to seeing all the photos in here later. 

PS Brettley , your slow weeks even make me tired just reading about them. 

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 4:16am
post #6 of 30

I won't have pictures of my cake until Sunday night. It's a really small (really) wedding cake...8" round. Actually, a couple who booked me for a wedding in December just found out they are expecting and are getting married this weekend. They'll still have the December wedding but want a little something for a family dinner after the quickie wedding on Sunday. I didn't think anyone still got married because they were pregnant icon_biggrin.gif.

I baked in my Wilton pans for the first time in a while and have decided that with every future cake order, I'll buy 1 or 2 Magic Lines until I get the Wilton all replaced!

I baked it tonight, my layers are in the freezer, and I made my BC (Deep Dark Chocolate Cake, Very Vanilla BC).

I went back to my day job this week after being off for 6 weeks and I'm exhausted. I just added a note on my calendar NOT to book any cakes next year for the weekend after I go back to work!

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 4:28am
post #7 of 30

hobby baker chiming in.....just burned 48 red velvet cupcakes.  AAAAGH!  

I do not know why I messed up, just not paying close enough attention, apparently.   The 36 mini's came out just fine because I was watching them like a hawk by then! 

I don't even think I can save the tops of the burned batch or use the tops for cake balls because I'm concerned that the smell/taste may have infliltrated the whole cupcake. 

I bow deeply to all of you who do this for payment!   When I screw up, it's no biggie and everyone is still thrilled to get whatever I take as a gift.   Each of you give yourselves a HUGE pat on the back for being amazing.

Brettley Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 4:31am
post #8 of 30

Chelle: I was exhausted and drooling just reading your list of things done and to do, Wow! I find it is always nice to take a break from cakes and delve into another art form though. I am sure everything will turn out great!

Elcee: I didn't realize people still did that either! Congrats to the couple though, very exciting and busy year for them!

Brettley Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 4:35am
post #9 of 30

Apti: Follow your nose! When the smell of the cake fills the house, you know it is done or close to it! I do not time anything anymore, like ever. Once it start smelling it I will check, and it is either done or pretty darn close to it!

That really sucks though:)  I have been there too, and I am sure lots have felt your pain. Once, I accidentally turned the broil on instead of bake and had when I came up to check the top was nicely cooked but the bottom was still RAW! haha, oye! I always double check now to make sure it is actually on bake:)

catlharper Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 4:53am
post #10 of 30

Chelle...you have to tell me what a "cob loaf" is! Sounds intriguing...and everything else sounds like I should stop by for dinner! LOL!

Elcee...I hope you post whenever you do get done with the little wedding cake. I think a lot of us who do weddings get BIG cakes to do and rarely get just an 8 inch. And, yes, I have a wedding coming up where they will be getting married in February in a formal ceremony but want to do the family thing right now. I'd love some ideas since all I have been given are "blue and cream". LOL!

AWWWW Apti! I know the pain of that. I went through that recently when I was baking over at my daughters...I can NOT smell the cake in this house whereas I can easily tell when the cake is done in my own place. UGH. That is a hard way to end a night, that's for sure.

Cat

catlharper Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 4:56am
post #11 of 30

Oh, and Elcee...I switched from Wilton to Fat Daddio pans a long time ago...the difference is HUGE! However, believe it or not, I love the Pampered Chef stoneware muffin pans for cupcakes. They bake SO evenly!

Cat

Chellescakes Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 5:22am
post #12 of 30

Apti , like Brettley and Cat I too know a cake is done when it smells right. 

Elcee , it is nice that they want to get married before the baby , it saves a lot of paperwork later. I have replaced all my wilton tins with fat daddio ones . I made that decision a while a go . We have a store called spotlight here , I think it is like your Michael's or Hobby Lobby. They have a 40 percent discount day every couple of months so I spent up big then on tins. 

Cat , a cob loaf is a round loaf of bread , I hollow them out and fill them with a mixture of cream cheese and sour cream that I have mixed other ingredients into. I heat them in the oven and serve them with crusty bread . YUM. 

Well I have had my afternoon nap and now back to the grindstone , happy baking everyone. 

catlharper Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 5:28am
post #13 of 30

OMG...I need the recipe for Cob Loaf...seriously! LOL! Please PM it to me here?

daryll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daryll Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 5:58am
post #14 of 30

AI don't know how you all do it week after week! This week I made 4 dozen cupcakes and a small cake to take to work for our Welcome Royal Prince morning tea and a birthday cake for me...after working full time, 2 kids and the flu all I managed on my cake was a really "rustic" buttercream finish. I'd never let anyone other than DH and kids see it!! Still it was enough for some candles and a very off tune Happy birthday

Chellescakes Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 6:52am
post #15 of 30

Cat you have mail. 

daryll, I don't have a 9-5 job other than taking care of my aging mother ( that is more like 24 hours) . I try not to take on more than I can cope with so all of my clients know to book early . 

I don't know how some of the other do it though. Brettley makes my head spin week after week. 

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 8:27am
post #16 of 30

Hi everyone, we are back home after 6 weeks of sitting in the middle of the Aussie bush relaxing.  Well mostly; we got rained out when the river we were next to flooded then stranded in the middle of nowhere.  A station helicopter dropped in on us to make sure we had enough food to last for a week until the river went down and the roads were drivable again.  Exciting. 

Not much happening in my  kitchen.  It's my birthday on Tuesday but I am going back to work 2 days a week after a 21/2 year break.  Yuk.  First time I will have worked on my birthday in about 20 years.  I am not impressed.  Will make a mudcake tomorrow and throw some quick decorations on it on Monday as I cannot bear the thought of not having a cake.

Chelle your food sounds wonderful.  Our branch is so boring when it comes to food events.  They only ever want the same old things.  I keep trying to get them to eat different things and they won't.  I just end up taking it home with me again.  After last time I told hubby I was giving up in defeat.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures guys.  Remember I have been starved for 6 weeks.

cakeddc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeddc Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 10:39am
post #17 of 30

AHi Everyone! Such busy weeks...I have 6 dozen cupcakes for a tennis themed 50th wedding anniversary. There is also a 6" cake that I need to do this morning, baked and torted, it just needs smooth buttercream and a reproduction of the invite on top. Thankfully the invite font looks a lot like funky tappit ;) Hope everyone has a great weekend and looking forward to the pics! [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3064759/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Brettley Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 2:39pm
post #18 of 30

The Pirate Cake! I am so happy with this cake:)

And here is the Sunset Cake. The paint is setting for now and once it is completely dry I will add the Bamboo Border and flowers to it. Cake isn't due until this evening but hoping to have it finished before I head out on deliveries this afternoon:)

rockymtnbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockymtnbaker Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 2:45pm
post #19 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettley 

The Pirate Cake! I am so happy with this cake:)

And here is the Sunset Cake. The paint is setting for now and once it is completely dry I will add the Bamboo Border and flowers to it. Cake isn't due until this evening but hoping to have it finished before I head out on deliveries this afternoon:)

Wow! Those cakes are so beautiful! I can't wait to see the second one finished; make sure you post a pic of it! 

rockymtnbaker Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 3:02pm
post #20 of 30

Here's what I've been working on this week. It's a wedding cake for 280 guests; a 8", 12", and 16" rounds and a 13x19 sheet for more servings. We're getting ready to leave in about an hour to deliver and it's the first time I've used SPS...wish me luck! 

Brettley Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 3:13pm
post #21 of 30

Wow that is a lot of cake! Looks awesome!!

Did you like using SPS? I have been considering starting to use it for some of the larger cakes. I have a few 5 tier and more for next year and thinking wooden dowels might not be the most stable for something like that. Was is easy to use? And you like a handsaw or something right?

rockymtnbaker Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 3:44pm
post #22 of 30

AThank you!

SPS is so easy to use. I really love it, actually. No dowels and no cutting..I got plates to fit each cake and the 4" pillars, so there was no need to cut anything. I have absolute confidence that the cake will stay together and not slip and slide. It's really heavy though, so I'm more concerned about tripping and dropping it on the way in to the venue! Lol...

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 3:47pm
post #23 of 30

I love sps!! Especially the plates, if it's a smaller cake (8" and 6") sometimes I use the plate on top of straws. My cakes are usually around 5" tall, so the straws are easier to cut and they fit right inside the middles of the "column cuffs". Brettley, you're cakes are always amazing, can't wait to see the sunset cake finished. Rockymtnbaker, you're cake is lovely, and cake ddc, your cuppies are too cute!

I have a fairly large ...but super heavy...3 tiered groom's cake today. It's a Mario Kart theme, so I tried to stay away from copyrighted characters and focus more on the theme of the game itself. (The bride bought the toppers for me to use). I made the rainbow road out of jolly ranchers that I melted with my propane torch, but all in all, I think it turned out cute. We thought we were going to be able to use a cart to transport the cake into the venue, but just found out that we're going to have to carry it in. Wish me luck..geez, I'm nervous about carrying this heavy cake!!

Brettley Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 4:10pm
post #24 of 30

Sixinarow: AWESOME!! I love the rainbow road, and what a great tasting idea. They will love it. I love the trees:) As for transport. I would say speedwalk. Last summer,  had to carry a 4 tier stacked cake for what seemed like MILES from the gravel road to the tent. Which was in the middle of their farm yard. After I set it down, my arms literally felt like rubber and were going to fall off, never again!!  I usually have my hubby tag along for those big cakes now. haha.

Cakeddc: Hope you post pictures of everything: Would love to see the whole set up!

I will have to look into the SPS more seriously. I have a hard time sleeping after I have dropped off a wedding cake; I always fear the worst. And I start to relax the next afternoon, as I am sure they would have contacted me by then if something happened. haha. Anything the ease my mind would be appreciate greatly. And my DH usually tries to convince me to sleep on the sofa on those nights. I usually toss and turn like a mad-woman and it drives him nuts!

Brettley Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 5:13pm
post #25 of 30

A[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3064902/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Done!! The flowers are fake. The mom Wanted all the same flowers so she bought them for me.

catlharper Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 5:38pm
post #26 of 30

WOW!!! I love checking in here again and seeing so many great cakes!

Brettley!!! OMG! GORGEOUS sunset cake and we are in love with the Pirate cake! Amazing work!

Sixinarow!!! LOVE the Mario Cart cake! One of our family favorite games and you captured it in cake!

Rocky we all love the simple elegance of your buttercream cake with the bows!

Cakeddc...our favorite cupcake is the LOVE cupcake..such a cute theme!

And...CAZZA! Welcome back! I do hope you had just the best time relaxing in the Bush. Sorry to hear that you are having to head back to work after such a long break but I hope it's better than it sounds! Glad to have you here again tho. Happy Birthday just a tad bit early!

And, as promised...here is the wedding cake!

The secret on this one is that only the top tier is real cake. The venue, while very inexpensive for rental and food, wanted to charge a $3 cutting fee per slice for an outside vendors cake!!! The couple still wanted one of my cakes so they agreed with the venue to serve their desserts to the guests so that the couple could have any cutting cake they wanted. They still wanted an ornate cake for their reception so we worked out that this one where the bottom two tiers are dummies and only the top cake is real. They get the grand cake they wanted and a Honeymoon cake to take with them.

I have another one coming up in a few days along with the fact we are working the wedding so more photos next week!

Cat

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 2:49am
post #27 of 30

Good Saturday Afternoon,

Sorry I missed everyone last night.  My computer was hijacked so couldn't get on line.  Wanted so bad to see what ya'll were up to.

Every body's cakes look so awesome, pirate cakes, wedding cakes, sunset cakes, mario bros.  all of them.

I have had the busiest 2 weeks, to the point where I drop dead each night.  I've had a burst of business.  2 last minute cake orders 1 for friday and 1 for sat.  

Could not say no because I need to buy a new car.  To the Pink& Black cake I added on site a very large ruffle flower. It sat right at the edge of the top layer.

Brettley Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 3:07am
post #28 of 30

Cat: Gorgeous!  It seem that venues are really starting to get ridiculous with the "cutting" fee. It astounds me! Here, they charge a 1.00 per serving cutting fee BUT they will not allow someone to come in and cut it (I have offered)  So if you bring in cake, they charge you either way whether they cut it or not. Oye. Anyway, the bride is happy and that's all that counts:)

Aunt Ginn; Love the pink and Black one and the mustaches are adorable. Still don't really understand the mustache fad we are in but nonetheless it is a great looking cake.

Rosegin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosegin Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 4:17am
post #29 of 30

AThis is what I did on Friday night. Blackberry pie cupcakes for my sister's baby shower. She is expecting boy/girl twins. They will both have "P" names, so I did Two Peas/P's In A Pod. [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3065663/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3065665/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 4:27am
post #30 of 30

My sister-in-law is visiting Boston from San Diego and she is such fun!   We decorated a cake together tonight, I will post pictures tomorrow.  I had already prepared buttercream and had cake frozen so it was easy.  It came out pretty because she has really good decorating skills!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%