I Need Help With My Ganache!

Decorating By asimm09 Updated 17 Aug 2013 , 9:44am by LisaPeps

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 4:33am
post #31 of 35

AConsidering that's normal ingredients for you guys, you'd think you'd have better pricing. None of it's locally sourced, huh? Would think there's gotta be some areas of Oz that are good for cacao trees.

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 5:05am
post #32 of 35

A

Original message sent by AmbitiousBeginner

I only bake for my family.  This past weekend I went to the grocery store with the intention of buying real white chocolate for white chocolate ganache, but when I saw the price, did the math and realized I would be spending over $100 on just chocolate, I changed my mind.  Instead I bought the Nestle White Chocolate morsels and did a 4:1 ratio.  I used it to fill and cover a RV cake, and it came out great.  The ganache had to be refrigerated, at first I left it at room temp and it stayed runny, but after a few hours in the fridge, it was creamy and spreadable.  I've also used Nestle's semisweet chocolate chips for ganache and had good results.   Note: it does take longer for the chips to melt, but they do.

If I was selling cakes, then the increase in price would be passed on to the customer, but since I am the one paying for it, I can't bring myself to spend that much on one ingredient.

I didn't mean to sound like a snob, although I sort of am when it comes to chocolate especially. By all means, use whatever you want. I started looking for things at my local grocery store as well. Living in a small town didn't give me many options or variety so I started looking online and trying higher quality ingredients. It's really amazing the difference it can make. That was just my 2cents

AmbitiousBeginner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmbitiousBeginner Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 3:43am
post #33 of 35

I'm surprised by the response, because I didn't mean to imply that anyone was a snob.  I would buy the better stuff too if it wasn't so overpriced.  After reading the thread I am interested in finding more affordable options online.

And I understand what you mean about chocolate and not sacrificing quality.  I am originally from CA and live in NY.  And as much as I love and miss the fresh fruit, especially the peaches, from CA, I refuse to buy them in NY because no matter how good people around here think they are, I know they don't taste as good as they should, so I don't eat any, except when my mom mails me CA fruit or I visit.  I'm a fruit snob!

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 5:18am
post #34 of 35

AOh no worries ;) I didn't think anything of it, just a statement. I'm not easily offended but you didn't say anything offensive anyway. Just saying I understand & it's worth looking around, hopefully you can find something affordable that you'll enjoy.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 9:44am
post #35 of 35

Heh, chocolate is cheaper in the UK than in the US! Wayhey :) lol it's about time we had 1 perk! I guess it's because we're in Europe so close to Belgium, Switzerland etc...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%