Wedding Cake With Maple Syrup Ideas/recipes

Baking By nhbaker Updated 25 Jul 2013 , 6:48pm by scrumdiddlycakes

nhbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhbaker Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 6:11pm
post #1 of 2

Hi All,

I've got a bride that's theme is fall/maple (has a sugaring biz on the side) and wants a wedding cake that is either maple flavored or has maple in it somewhere (eg. filling, etc.).  She wants me to try out some recipes before she makes her final decision and has provided me with some real syrup for my efforts.

I'm not a huge maple fan so I'm kinda stumped.  I've made her a pumpkin spice cake with a maple cream cheese buttercream filling (which is always a HUGE hit with many of my brides) and she liked it, but she's really wants to try a cake made with the maple syrup.

Most of my cakes are variations of WASC but I can and have baked from scratch as well.  I recently tried a WASC spice cake using maple syrup in place of the additional sugar and some maple extract and you really couldn't tell there's maple in it, and reading the reviews from many of the scratch recipes I've found online, that's kind of the general consensus of maple cake.  I'm guessing the bulk of the maple flavor is going to have to come from the filling.

Does anyone have any suggestions or recipes using maple syrup that they'd be willing to share?

Thanks in advance for any advice/help.

1 reply
scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 2

You will actually get more flavour from a maple extract, than a maple syrup in baking.

I would probably do a spiced maple IMBC, and reduce the sugar in the recipe, and maple/pecan praline chopped up inside. I love a bit of texture in my cakes, and the praline has a strong maple flavour.

I'm not a big fan of it either, I find it cloyingly sweet and overpowering.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%