To Drum Or Not To Drum--That Is The Question

Decorating By tripleE Updated 28 Jul 2013 , 3:11pm by tripleE

tripleE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleE Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 1:11pm
post #1 of 8

Hope there isn't already a forum about this.  The site has gotten so dang big that searching has gotten harder and harder. 

My question--do I use a silver-wrapped cake drum (14" under a 12" layer) under a round wedding cake that will be placed on a larger, round, silver cake plateau?  I've seen some cakes with and some without.  Guess I'd like some opinions on the matter.  Thanks!

7 replies
cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 1:26pm
post #2 of 8

All my cakes go on a drum.  If it's going on a cake stand I always make sure the drum is the same diameter as the stand (or smaller).

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 1:30pm
post #3 of 8

I don't drum my single tier cakes...but drum all of my tiered cakes as I run a dowel through all tiers and into my drum.   I am also anal about having my bottom board match the size of the plateau. 

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 1:34pm
post #4 of 8

Years ago I used to have the plateaus delivered to me so that I could build that bottom tier right on the plateau.  Then one tipped over during delivery and I stopped that nonsense.  Build the cake on a drum and when you get to the venue, place it on the plateau.  Those three little legs on the plateau are not all that stable.  

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 1:37pm
post #5 of 8

AI build right on the stand. I always check it to make sure it can hold & have never had a problem. I prefer the look.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 2:58pm
post #6 of 8

ADrum. Unless it's a smaller cake on a pretty pedestal and it would look better built right on.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 4:18pm
post #7 of 8

Depends on the cake for me, and the stand. I almost always drum, but there are some stands I trust enough to build straight onto.

I have a pedestal that doesn't have feet, just a solid base, heavy as Kansas, I will build right onto it. I will drum the cake if they are renting/buying their own from somewhere else though.

tripleE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleE Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 3:11pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you all for your help!  I did drum, and it worked out great!  I'll post a photo sometime today.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%