Carpal Tunnel- How Do I Not Get It? Xp

Decorating By EricaCM90 Updated 24 Jul 2013 , 9:36pm by nancysmom

EricaCM90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EricaCM90 Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 4

AI was piping butterflies in royal icing with a #3 tip, so needless to say, it was very hard to squeeze the icing out. I had to make about 30 butterflies and I almost couldn't finish because my hand hurt so bad. It felt swollen for a few days afterward too. I am 22 and just starting in the cake business and I am scared that I will get carpal tunnel and have to stop making cakes by the time I'm 30. Is there any way to prevent this? Any tips on how to not hurt my tendons? Thanks! :)

3 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 4

Take breaks inbetween the work that is hard on your hand. Five minutes on, ten minutes off. But most important - since you now know there's a problem, you need to stay away from the kind of work that hurts. You will only end up with a serious issue. There's another carpal tunnel thread going on right now http://cakecentral.com/t/761033/carpal-tunnel

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 9:18pm
post #3 of 4

AI have started using fondant molds more/cutters whenever I can. I used to try and pipe all that stuff and it just wasnt worth it. I started when I was 19 and in college. I'm 21 now and have graduated and do cakes full time. My hands STILL hurt from all of that

nancysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancysmom Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 9:36pm
post #4 of 4

I have been decorating cakes for 5 years and do not do lots of piping. I have carpal tunnel in both hands and have to have surgery. working with fondant and making decorations out of gum paste is very painful for me. I love baking and decorating cakes and have cut it down to one cake per week. :(

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%