How To Get Copyright Releases?

Business By thelittlecakery Updated 25 Jul 2013 , 7:29am by vgcea

thelittlecakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thelittlecakery Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 8:58am
post #1 of 15

AI know this has been beat to death and maybe I'll just have to do things the old fashion way... Pen and paper.

How do I go about getting some sort of release so I can make and sell cakes with a Disney character on it or as the cake itself. Also, would this release be for one order or would it stay with me for a set amount of time.

I don't want to turn someone away because I can't make a Monsters University cake or Cinderella... You get the point.

What hoops do I jump thru so I can use these and other characters?

Thanks in advance.

14 replies
DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 11:38am
post #2 of 15

ADisney is one of The Most difficult to grant permission. I don't know of anyone who ever got a yes.

In most cases, you will need to purchase a use license. They are expensive.

For other companies, permission varies. The University of SC often grants permission for one time use. I have to contact them each time I want to replicate the Gamecock or other items. In the same state, Clemson grants permission, via their website, for unlimited use as long as guidelines are followed.

thelittlecakery Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 1:47pm
post #3 of 15

AThank you. Now I shall make it my life's destiny to get permission from Disney. Da da tada!

Is it bc Wal-Mart and Costco are so big, they can get the licenses? My local Dairy Queen(franchise) has all kinds of cakes with Disney-Pixar characters.

DeliciousDesserts Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 2:03pm
post #4 of 15

AThey have either purchased the license or (more likely) they purchase from DecoPac. DecoPac sells kits which include specific guidelines of use. Those stores are not authorized to create their own figurines or drawings.

thelittlecakery Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 15

AAhh, I see. I'm still going to try to get one from Disney. I broke my ankle and can't work for another month so Disney, watch out.... Lol

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 2:18pm
post #6 of 15

I have gotten many one use permission from Colleges/Universities for groom's cakes in particular.  I just write to the PR dept.  

Good luck with Disney.

thelittlecakery Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 2:25pm
post #7 of 15

ADisney is kind of a joke, but why not try with all my free time. Although my luck I'll get it and my mom will be getting a Disney cake for her birthday

DeliciousDesserts Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 2:31pm
post #8 of 15

AWorst they can do is say no

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 3:00pm
post #9 of 15

ASo do you cakers prefer to send in the request yourselves or do you have the customer contact the copyright owner?

DeliciousDesserts Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 3:57pm
post #10 of 15

AI usually handle it myself. I'm so familiar with USC & Clemson it takes just a few seconds. It may take a customer much longer.

If it was something more involved, I may ask the client to do so.

When I asked CBS for permission to use the Survivor logo, I contacted them but I asked the client for the contact info. Because she was a contestant, she had a direct email for a producer.

vgcea Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 5:08pm
post #11 of 15

AAwesome. That's good to know. Thanks DD.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 5:16pm
post #12 of 15

AI prefer having the customer handle it. That way, if the copyright owner says no, the customer is mad at the copyright owner (as they should be) and not me.

thelittlecakery Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 6:55pm
post #13 of 15

ASo how do you go about contacting the copyright owner? Do I just find the information for their PR dept. and go from there?

DeliciousDesserts Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 7:19pm
post #14 of 15

ABetter off finding the legal department. I doubt anyone in the Public Relations office would have authority to grant permission.

If there is a # for corporate headquarters, start there.

vgcea Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 7:29am
post #15 of 15

A

Original message sent by jason_kraft

I prefer having the customer handle it. That way, if the copyright owner says no, the customer is mad at the copyright owner (as they should be) and not me.

I tried this recently and suspect that that potential client got discouraged and decided to order elsewhere (probably with someone who doesn't have the same view on using copyrighted material). I figured I'd check and see what the norm is. Thanks Jason.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%