Do I Need A Cake Drum

Decorating By pinkbutterfly Updated 25 Jul 2013 , 2:33pm by kaylawaylalayla

pinkbutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbutterfly Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 3:35am
post #1 of 9

I don't usually use a cake drum. I usually wrap 2-4 cake boards with fancy foil since most of my cakes are for family and friends.  I am making a cake for a cousin's wedding.  I was thinking of ordering this cake stand.  Do I still need a cake drum on this cake stand?  TIA

8 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 4:00am
post #2 of 9

Yes, the cake should be on a cake drum or cake boards covered with fancy foil. At least , that is what i do. I usually buy the sturdy cake drums. I find that wiltons is not that sturdy. Global sugar art would have what you need and other on line stores. hth

Margaret393 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margaret393 Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 9:37am
post #3 of 9

I agree with icer101 - a cake drum would be much more appropriate. You could band the sides of the cake drum with some coordinated coloured ribbon - for a more professional finish. Hope this helps!

Happy Baking!!!

pinkbutterfly Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 1:31am
post #4 of 9

Thank you for your repleisicon_smile.gif

pinkbutterfly Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 1:33am
post #5 of 9

Sorry "replies"icon_redface.gif

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 1:41am
post #6 of 9

AIf this is what I think it is, it is styrofoam wrapped to look like antique metal. I just bought one to do my cousins wedding too lol. My advice is to be very careful wit h imprinting on the drum. The men who carried the cake from the kitchen to the dining room left big ol thumbprints sunk into it. It wasn't very noticeable to most but I could tell because I knew what it was.

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 3:03am
post #7 of 9

AI was just going to ask about the pedestal, it's adorable. But it's styrofoam?!

I always use foam core instead of the cardboard circles (or squares...) and some sort of base or drum as well. Especially for a stacked cake, they can get really heavy and you need something sturdy for transportation as well as something nice and clean for that professional finish.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 11:46am
post #8 of 9

ANo! No! No! Personally, i think a cake frum on a stand looks awful & is unnecessary. Cake goes on a board then right on top of the stand.

On a very rare occasion, the cake board is part of the design. In that case, it too is decorated never jus silver or whatever.

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 2:33pm
post #9 of 9

AI think she intends to use this instead or a stand. But idk

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%