Help. Wi Cottage Laws?!

Business By sarahbakestudio Updated 23 Jul 2013 , 2:24am by sarahbakestudio

sarahbakestudio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahbakestudio Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 7:57pm
post #1 of 3

OK, so I live in WI and as I understand it we have no cottage laws. I have signed a petition to get one enacted. I am pretty business savvy, but have never dealt with business' in the food industry. I know there is a lot more to know and deal with there. I haven't the slightest idea where to even start to find more information on this topic. I thought that maybe I could get some help here.

It is my understanding that it is not legal for me to have a food business from my home. If it is not a business, but rather just a hobby right now is there any loopholes in that?! For example, my cousin wants to hire me to do cupcakes for her son's birthday. I am guessing legally I can make cupcakes for her if I give them to her for free. I just can't charge her for them. Is this true? I know you lovely people are bakers, but thought your experience/knowledge could at the very least point me in the right direction on where I could find such info.

Thank you.

2 replies
shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 9:38pm
post #2 of 3

There are still people trying to get the "baking" cottage food bill passed in Wisconsin:

http://cottagefoods.org/laws/usa/wisconsin/

Until it is, you should not accept any money for your baked goods, including payment for ingredients, from strangers. However, if it is just between family members, you could give your cousin free cupcakes and tell her how much money to give you for your birthday.  icon_smile.gif

sarahbakestudio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahbakestudio Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 2:24am
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter 

There are still people trying to get the "baking" cottage food bill passed in Wisconsin:

http://cottagefoods.org/laws/usa/wisconsin/

Until it is, you should not accept any money for your baked goods, including payment for ingredients, from strangers. However, if it is just between family members, you could give your cousin free cupcakes and tell her how much money to give you for your birthday.  icon_smile.gif

I know about the cottage food bill being worked on in WI. I am hoping for that. {Fingers Crossed.}

Sadly, I figured I was going to hear something along the lines of the second aspect of your response. I was just hoping not. It just seems like when it comes to family all is fair...you know...they know I am baking in my kitchen. Unfortunately, {or fortunately}, I like to do things on the up and up.

Thanks for the response. :/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%