New Cake Leveler/torter...very Excited!

Decorating By BatterUpCake Updated 26 Aug 2013 , 8:47pm by BatterUpCake

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 5:31pm
post #91 of 116

LOL..I am in HD and Lowe's so often that customer's ask me for assistance.

tam22670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tam22670 Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 6:42pm
post #92 of 116

thanks!

BatterUpCake Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 11:17pm
post #93 of 116

BTW...I used my cake leveler yesterday with just 1 blade and it worked wonderfully! With all of the cake stand hubabaloo I have not had time to get version 2 made where I can use more than 1 blade. Once things settle down and I get back into a routine I will get on top of that...

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 3:04am
post #94 of 116

A

Original message sent by BatterUpCake

BTW...I used my cake leveler yesterday with just 1 blade and it worked wonderfully! With all of the cake stand hubabaloo I have not had time to get version 2 made where I can use more than 1 blade. Once things settle down and I get back into a routine I will get on top of that...

Yes!!! That's what I'm excited about lol!

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 1:59pm
post #95 of 116

AAre the levelers for sale yet? I've checked out your page but didn't see that. I know I'll want a stand, but I haven't decided yet which one. But I could really use a nice leveler!

BatterUpCake Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 4:05pm
post #96 of 116

Nooooo...and they won't be for quite awhile, if at all. I haven't even had the second prototype done I have been so busy with the stands. Took a weekend off from that to practice decorating techniques. I plan to attempt to do a video today with prototype # 1 though before I go back to the drawing board. This one is only working with 1 blade. I want mine to have 2 and I want it to be much shorter than this one.... If the video turns out I will try to post it so I can get some feedback...

BatterUpCake Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 11:15pm
post #97 of 116

Video enclosed....Ok...let me say up front I have cake on my shirt. I do not have 8" pans at home only 8 1/2 so my cakes are thin. And yes my dogs are a PITA. But this is just a practice cake. Here is the video of me using the first leveler. It works but is still quite primitive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9uVJ2jfvqY&feature=youtu.be

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 11:33pm
post #98 of 116

After throwing away 2 Wilton levelers, and not being very successful at saving for an Agbay, I am watching this with interest.

As for feedback, I don't really have anything constructive to offer. I'll wait and see what develops. I do, however, want to know what language your dog speaks. My toy fox terrier was greatly impressed and had several comments of her own to contribute in response.

As I said earlier, I'm watching with interest....

Jan

BatterUpCake Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 11:55pm
post #99 of 116

Nothing constructive? How about destructive? LOL...come on...I can take it! The lil yippy dog is one I rescued a few days ago and is driving me nuts! She is so darned cute tho. My roomie wants to keep her if no one answers the ad...only problem is that she can barely afford to feed herself so guess who will be paying for dog food, shots, worming???

milkmaid42 Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 12:09am
post #100 of 116

If I didn't love you before, I do now. How refreshing to find a responsible dog owner. (And you will end up being the dog's owner.) As a former vet tech, I appreciate those who take care of their animals. So many, unfortunately, don't.

I have nothing destructive to say. My biggest complaint about the levelers I had was the flexing of the blade. So I'm back to the toothpick and long knife method. After two, I'm just a tad leery.

Still watching.

PS: Zorra says ruffff to your rescue.

Jan

BatterUpCake Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 12:13am
post #101 of 116

My rescue says yipyipyipyipyipyipyipyip infinity

milkmaid42 Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 12:19am
post #102 of 116

Oh my gosh, have I stumbled upon a dating site? Zorra's blushing.

BatterUpCake Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 12:21am
post #103 of 116

BTW...which ones have you bought? I bought the plain wire...which just completely fell apart after 2 uses. Then I bought both Wiltons (before I had ever heard of Agbay) was looking at the Fat Daddios, but this time I did research and the reviews were not good. I love creating things and once I get an idea in my head I can't let it go until I succeed, utterly fail, or just exhaust myself trying. I wanted to build my own house once so I lived in my horse barn using a horse shower and a porta potty for 6 months and worked on it very night until I fell in bed exhausted. Of course I had a friend and his dad help me...but it was just the 3 of us and they quit on me before it was done. SO I taught my poor kid how to install toilets, showers and do tile. lol

BatterUpCake Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 3:04pm
post #104 of 116

I have removed the video in order to do a more professional one.

milkmaid42 Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 3:54pm
post #105 of 116

Poor Zorra is weeping at my feet. It could have been so beautiful!

We sound very similar in nature, but the only time I've slept in a barn was while waiting for a cow to calve! I had a teacher in a horse husbandry class in college who said, when referring to waiting on a mare to foal, that the minute you blink it happens. All the hours of vigilance and bam! It's over when you blink.

I have done a lot of tile laying and remodeling by myself. I've never gone so far as to try to build my own  house, though! (Pat yourself on the back for being the last one standing. I don't like being told I can't do something either.) As to you "poor" kid....He is now considerably richer than most nowadays. What a work ethic and skill you've passed on.

My levelers had the blade. For some reason I thought the second purchase might work better. (I know, I know, repeating and expecting a different outcome is a sign of insanity.) It is just another reason to pile on for why I am not a Wilton advocate. (Did I say that tactfully enough?) I use a wire cheese cutter which is great, but never tried that on cake! A lot here probably like a wire cake leveler . Like I said, I have just put levelers out of my mind until I can/could scrape together money for an Agbay, based on the many positive reviews seen here. It also helps that Sharon Zambito uses one on her topsy turvy video and I saw it in action. Meanwhile I store boxes of toothpicks in my cupboard and keep my knife sharp.

Jan

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 3:58pm
post #106 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatterUpCake 

I have removed the video in order to do a more professional one.

Ooooh, be sure to include the puppee so we can see him and you can get dog hair in the cake!

(oops, sorry, wrong thread)

milkmaid42 Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 4:03pm
post #107 of 116

Oh Shanter, I was trying sooooo hard not to reference that thread! It was very difficult as you can image. I surely didn't want to hijack this one and came awfully close! Tee hee, snort!

BatterUpCake Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 4:04pm
post #108 of 116

I seen that Topsy Turvy video. What a great trick! And the poor kid I forced into manual labor was a girl....she is very crafty herself. Spent a few nights in a neighbors barn waiting on foaling. Then they installed a direct feed camera into the house. Not sure why we think we need to be there. The animals are probably much happier without us. These ladies act like it is the end of the world if they foal in a field! There was some weird message on my youtube page saying someone complained about a copyright violation, which is not why I deleted it (it was because I didn't look good...lol). But seriously, how is this a copyright violation. That is like saying building a chair is a violation because there are already chairs on the market. My design is nothing like the others out there...especially the one I am betting they thought I was copying.

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 4:18pm
post #109 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatterUpCake 

There was some weird message on my youtube page saying someone complained about a copyright violation, which is not why I deleted it (it was because I didn't look good...lol). But seriously, how is this a copyright violation. That is like saying building a chair is a violation because there are already chairs on the market. My design is nothing like the others out there...especially the one I am betting they thought I was copying.

How strange!  But now it makes me wonder if the other one is patented maybe?  Something you may want to look into, just in case icon_eek.gif

milkmaid42 Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 4:23pm
post #110 of 116

Jason, HELP! Put on your cape and come to the rescue. (Just looked at this, and I hope it  doesn't sound sarcastic. I sure don't mean it to.)

Jan

BatterUpCake Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 4:54pm
post #111 of 116

To infringe on a copyright your product must be almost identical. The key is in the writing of the claim. You cannot patent the idea of leveling a cake. You must patent specific claims....otherwise there would only be 1 type of everything on the market. There are vast differences in my design. The way my blade is adjusted, the fact that it will have 3 blades rather than 2. The fact that the best on the market can be adjusted to 1/8 of an inch whereas mine will only go to 1/4 of an inch. They are not marketed to the same crowd and will not be set in the same price ranges. Are the Fat Daddio and Wilton patent copies? No. Is the Ford and the Chevy copies? They both do the same thing, right? http://inventors.about.com/od/patentsbasics/a/PatentClaims.htm

" In analyzing each claim, each element of the claim must be contained in the infringing device in order to show literal patent infringement. If even one element of the claim is missing from the allegedly infringing device, there is no literal infringement."

There are many things others do to make the product easier to use that mine does not. Therefore I would not meet all of the claims in another brands patent application.

Additionally for there to be a patent infringement I must be selling the item. Which I am not currently doing., and will not be doing until I have applied for my own patent.

milkmaid42 Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 5:44pm
post #112 of 116

thumbs_up.gif

MyCupcakeBoxes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyCupcakeBoxes Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 6:06pm
post #113 of 116

thumbs_up.gif

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 6:10pm
post #114 of 116

Yay :). Hope you do get around to posting another video on  your site, I'm sad I missed it!

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 8:14pm
post #115 of 116

AI saw the video before you took it down and I really liked it. The only thing that I would have said was that it was a bit tall. But! You already addressed that. Looking forward to the updates...

BatterUpCake Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 8:47pm
post #116 of 116

thumbs_up.gif Well when I was holding that 6 foot steel rod and I said "make it about this tall" 8" just didn't seem that big. When in the world did I think I was going to tort a 6" tall cake? LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%