Italian Meringue Buttercream Help

Baking By Sakura Blossom Updated 20 Jul 2013 , 10:11am by BatterUpCake

Sakura Blossom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sakura Blossom Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 10:54pm
post #1 of 15

AHi everyone,

I have been making italian meringue buttercream with real white eggs and it has always worked. Now, I am trying to make it with carton egg and the meringue just flop as soon as I put my hot sugar syrup in. Can anyone here help me with this matter? I don't know what I am doing wrong.

Thank a lot

14 replies
keepingitreal21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keepingitreal21 Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 15

Curious indeed. I've always made mine with carton egg whites and have never had a problem. Hmm...when you whip your egg whites, are you adding a little sugar to whip with them before the sugar syrup?

Sakura Blossom Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 11:33pm
post #3 of 15

ANo, I am only whipping it with a pinch of cream of tartar.

keepingitreal21 Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 11:42pm
post #4 of 15

I use Warren Brown's recipe. He uses 10 oz of sugar  2 oz are whipped with the egg whites to help build the volume of the meringue. I've never used a recipe with the cream of tartar.

still_learning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
still_learning Posted 19 Jul 2013 , 12:24am
post #5 of 15

AI know some people have success with carton egg whites but my attempts have always flopped and I do add a bit of sugar to them. I've switched to powdered egg whites and have great success with them. Once reconstituted they whip just like fresh.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 19 Jul 2013 , 12:26am
post #6 of 15

Check the carton very closely, some will say 'not suitable for meringue'.

Sakura Blossom Posted 19 Jul 2013 , 7:22pm
post #7 of 15

AThanks Keepingitreal21, I will try that recipe just in case my recipe is not good with carton egg. Scrumdiddlycake, it does not say anything about meringue on the carton I already checked thanks, I will keep you updated.

Sakura Blossom Posted 19 Jul 2013 , 9:45pm
post #8 of 15

AIt worked, I am so happy now!!!! Thanks for your input keepingitreal21, I don't need to crack eggs anymore!!!! :grin::grin::grin:

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 19 Jul 2013 , 10:03pm
post #9 of 15

how does it figure out cost wise?

keepingitreal21 Posted 19 Jul 2013 , 10:34pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura Blossom 

It worked, I am so happy now!!!! Thanks for your input keepingitreal21, I don't need to crack eggs anymore!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

No problem. Yeah, I hate wasting the yolk if I only need the white.

Sakura Blossom Posted 20 Jul 2013 , 1:10am
post #11 of 15

A@Batterupcake, I can get my egg white very cheap at Costco. It cost me like 0.10 CAD per egg white, It is even less expensive than whole egg and that without wasting the yolk. So for me it is safer to use pasteurized egg white and cheaper.

BatterUpCake Posted 20 Jul 2013 , 2:42am
post #12 of 15

Oh..I get stuff very cheaply at the Navy Commissary or Restaurant Depot in cases of 12 dozen...And I use the yolks for curds or to add to my dogs food for her coat. I wonder what the egg whites would cost there? I'll have to check it out. I used to have a friend who would have me save the egg yolks because he liked just the yolks scrambled...yuck.

Sakura Blossom Posted 20 Jul 2013 , 4:14am
post #13 of 15

AThat is good, actually I am just starting my baking business and ahahah I am working on advertising only but still have order coming in but not enough to buy that much egg. So for me whatever I find to lower my cost works for now and I hate wasting lol. For the scramble egg friend, I just can't imagine that lol.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 20 Jul 2013 , 5:45am
post #14 of 15

AThe issue seems resolved. But just wanted to add I use something call "100% egg whites" in a green carton. It has that same disclaimer on it and its worked fine for about 10 batches now. I noticed the first time that I poured the syrup too fast and it broke down to liquid. Not sure if that's because they were pasteurized or what. But with a slow steady stream I've had great success

BatterUpCake Posted 20 Jul 2013 , 10:11am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura Blossom 

That is good, actually I am just starting my baking business and ahahah I am working on advertising only but still have order coming in but not enough to buy that much egg. So for me whatever I find to lower my cost works for now and I hate wasting lol. For the scramble egg friend, I just can't imagine that lol.

needless to say he wasn't a thin man! lol...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%