Bands In Buttercream Frosting

Decorating By DeborahShoemake Updated 18 Jul 2013 , 8:09pm by ellavanilla

DeborahShoemake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeborahShoemake Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 7:41pm
post #1 of 3

Can anyone describe the technique used to make what looks like bands or wide ridges around the sides of round cake layers.  The look has become quite popular recently and the "bands or ridges" are much wider that what can be achieved with a frosting comb.

2 replies
Rosie93095 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie93095 Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 7:52pm
post #2 of 3

I use a small offset spatula and spin the cake on a turntable. You can also use a piece of heavy poster board, cut out a 4"x4" square, and cut the pattern you want on the side that will touch the cake, then turn on turntable while holding the "comb" against the icing. Make sure the icing is thick enough that you don't get down into the crumbcoat..

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%