Will Fondarific Work For Ruffles On A Wedding Cake?

Decorating By bittersweety Updated 20 Jul 2013 , 1:33am by tracycakes

bittersweety Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bittersweety Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 5

hey all,

I mentioned in another thread last week that I purchased some fondarific for the first time and I had planned to use it on a ruffle cake for a wedding this Saturday. I usually use satin ice, but when it comes to ruffles I find it very frustrating because it dries out so quick and cracks. I was told by another member that if I use fondarific for the ruffles, I should let them lay out for about 15 minutes before applying so they can firm up a bit, but it will never be totally dry. should I even attempt using the fondarific for the ruffles or maybe mix 50/50 satin ice and fondarific? I don't want to start assembling Saturday morning just to have droopy ruffles and stess galore!

thanks!

4 replies
DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 5:24pm
post #2 of 5

AI have used Fondarific for ruffles without any trouble.

keepingitreal21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keepingitreal21 Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 5:27pm
post #3 of 5

I think if you mixed it with something like Satin Ice (that dries out so fast) you will totally ruin the great properties of Fondarific. It is true if you leave it out for a few minutes it will hold it's shape better. You can also put Fondarific in the freezer to firm up as well. I used it for my Monster high cake for the diamonds hanging over the top edge of the cake. They held up nicely after sitting out. You can also use toothpicks to hold up the ruffles while they set. Then you would be covering up the holes from the toothpicks with the next layer of ruffles. Here's a link showing the use of toothpicks with a ruffled rose, so the same would apply. GL http://vivalasugarcake.blogspot.com/search/label/Ruffle%20roses

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 5:41pm
post #4 of 5

The ivory ruffled cakes I just posted to my gallery last night were make with Fondarific. Nothing added to the ruffles except some powdered sugar/cornstarch.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 20 Jul 2013 , 1:33am
post #5 of 5

It works great.  I've done quite a few using Fondarific.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%