Dummy Cakes

Decorating By deborah mac Updated 18 Jul 2013 , 3:02pm by deborah mac

deborah mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deborah mac Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 8:33am
post #1 of 7

hi, ive been asked to do a 5 tier birthday cake they want 3 cake to be sponge and the others to be dummy cakes, how do i stack these?? and do i have to put the dummy cakes on the top tiers,or bottom,thanks

6 replies
jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 11:50am
post #2 of 7

AIt depends on how many servings you are trying to do. Hope you are charging for the dummies too. It is still a lot of work.

cpastrychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cpastrychef Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 12:02pm
post #3 of 7

Hello, How many people is this for?  That would be a deciding factor in which cakes are real and which are dummies. In the past when I have done the dummies, I used royal icing to glue them together. If you put the dummies on the bottom you would have to use a little royal icing or even hot glue to adhere the tier (with the real cake) above it in place. Assuming your cakes are on cardboard disks. Hope that helps....icon_smile.gif

deborah mac Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 12:31pm
post #4 of 7

hi, yes i will be charging for the dummies,i was thimking of doing the bottom 2 as the dummy cakes as the party is only for 50people,but wants the cake to stand tall and" over the top" as they put it,i have never used dummy cakes before and will be using fondant icing,would the top ones not sink into the dummy cakes if i put them on the bottom??

deborah mac Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 12:35pm
post #5 of 7

hi, thanks for your advice i was just worried that the 3 top sponge cakes would sink into the 2 dummy cakes on the bottom,its for 50 people but they wanted a tall over the top cake.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 1:11pm
post #6 of 7

You can stand on a cake dummy and you wouldn't sink, so your cakes won't either. Make sure to put proper support - dowels and boards - in the real cakes so they don't sink into each other. 

deborah mac Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 3:02pm
post #7 of 7

thankyou, yes i will be putting dowels in the real ones.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%