Any Tips On How To Do This???

Decorating By 61999 Updated 18 Jul 2013 , 6:12pm by cakemom007

61999 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
61999 Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 10:08pm
post #1 of 6

I am trying to do this but ugh, not easy.  I am using fondant with Tylose (no gum paste on hand), but I want to try a 50/50 of gum paste and fondant.

So I started first by just doing a ribbon flower directly onto the cake.  The part that is hard for me is where the ribbon flips over on the left side of the flower.  It keeps breaking on me! 

Which ribbon got place first?  The top, or the bottom?

Maybe the top and then the flower is built last?

Any tips or advice?

5 replies
ericapraga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericapraga Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 12:16am
post #2 of 6

I would make the ribbon flower separately and let it dry, maybe overnight. Then place it on the cake and make sure it is attached securely before beginning to drape the ribbons. I would start with the bottom ribbon and move up. I think you will want to place something between the ribbons where they turn to keep them in place while they dry, like a bit of tissue paper. You may also be able to use toothpicks to keep things in place while they dry.

Very pretty cake! Good luck!

61999 Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 1:24am
post #3 of 6

Thanks, been trying different ways...

smittyditty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smittyditty Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 2:23pm
post #4 of 6

Since the holes won't be seen I'd do the top ribbon first supported by toothpicks then go down. For added support you could find an empty yogurt container and cut it along the sides in 1 inch width pieces and drape over your toothpicks to avoid toothpicks indents on the ribbon. Does that make sense. With that idea you might be able to add less tylose.

Good luck and don't forget to post pictures its a beautiful cake!

61999 Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 3:44pm
post #5 of 6

Yes, that makes perfect sense!  I will try that.

I pre-made the flower last night.  It's pretty dry now.  Will try sticking on cake then working from the top ribbon down.

cakemom007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom007 Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 6:12pm
post #6 of 6

That looks pretty neat,

if you still wanted some gum paste, my local Wal-mart carries some wilton brand in the craft section for like $8.xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%