Lustre Dust And Alcohol

Decorating By Jenna1588 Updated 27 Jun 2014 , 3:03pm by Dianella

Jenna1588 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenna1588 Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 8:20pm
post #1 of 13

AI just watched a tutorial on YouTube about using lustre dust and alcohol of some form, vodka/lemon/vanilla. Could I use lemon flavouring? Had a look at ingredients and it has alcohol and natural lemon oil. And why can't it be mixed with water?

Thank you :)

12 replies
shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 8:22pm
post #2 of 13

The alcohol makes it dry faster.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 13

ADo a test with water and a scrap piece of fondant. The dust will either not mix well with the water, or it will not dry well.

You can use lemon extract, but it will leave a lemon flavor, and if it is not clear, could affect the color. You can get a tiny bottle of vodka at a liquor shop. I think it is about $2. It has a higher percentage of alcohol than the extract and will dry faster.

Jenna1588 Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 8:34pm
post #4 of 13

AOh what a plum! I had thought about buying some vodka but was thinking I don't want to pay £6/7. Forgot you can buy the really small ones like you get at Xmas in gift sets. Thanks.

I will do a tester as you said.

Thanks for your reply. Always someone helpful around! :)

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 8:37pm
post #5 of 13

AIf you do a test, please let us know the results. Thanks!

Jenna1588 Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 9:01pm
post #6 of 13

AIt has gone OK with lemon. Was too bold and had black dots when mixed with water. Lemon is a bit strong but its not up to me if they want to eat it lol

Dianella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dianella Posted 26 Jun 2014 , 5:15pm
post #7 of 13

AHi! I Know everybody recomends vodka, vainilla or lemon extract to dissolve the luster dust, but here a can't find the extract and I saw I don't remember where that we can use also the normal alcohol to dissolve it, it's that true or something can happen?

Thanks

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Jun 2014 , 5:23pm
post #8 of 13

what is normal alcohol? in my state i can use everclear which is egregiously potent alcohol--vodka can be used as you said--but what is normal alcohol--you can also use bourbon or anything like that -- you can get lemon extract at the grocery store-- are you in the states?

Dianella Posted 26 Jun 2014 , 5:39pm
post #9 of 13

ATo normal alcohol I refer to the one that we also use for medical purpose, That's why I have the question because I saw someone using it but I'm not sure if that's okay. And I'm from Costa Rica.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 26 Jun 2014 , 5:49pm
post #10 of 13

ANo no no no no no!! Rubbing alcohol is not food. You really need to use an extract or drinking alcohol

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 26 Jun 2014 , 6:17pm
post #11 of 13

The vast majority of rubbing alcohol is 140-proof isopropanol (the exceptions are generally "SD" grades of ethanol, i.e., ethanol that's been denatured with something other than methanol).

There is also 192-proof isopropanol, typically used for cleaning and disinfecting.

Ethanol makes you drunk

Isopropanol, I'm told (by Isaac Asimov, in The World of Carbon, and in addition to being a science fiction writer and a humor theorist, he was also a professor of biochemistry), generally never reaches a toxic level in the bloodstream because (1) it has a taste that Asimov described, as I recall, as "beastly," and (2) as soon as it hits your digestive system, it causes violent nausea and vomiting.

Methanol will make you blind, crazy, and dead. Again according to Asimov: the same process by which the liver converts ethanol into comparatively innocuous acetaldehyde turns methanol into formaldehyde. To coin a phrase, definitely not good eats.

Probably best to stick with vodka, if you need an alcohol-based solvent for something that's going to be eaten.

pastrypet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypet Posted 26 Jun 2014 , 8:08pm
post #12 of 13

you could probably use gin, since it is clear, but you might get a little juniper taste.

Dianella Posted 27 Jun 2014 , 3:03pm
post #13 of 13

AThank you for all the responses that's why I was confused about if using it or not jeje so I'm going to try with vodka.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%