Cake Tastings Cupcakes Or Cake

Decorating By tink986201 Updated 21 Jul 2013 , 3:44am by tink986201

tink986201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tink986201 Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 15

I know there is several posts on cake tastings. My question is what looks more professional a cake or cupcakes?

I always thought that you had to do a cake but I've read that some of you make cupcakes instead. 

Is it more of what is easier to make?

How would you go about presenting a cupcake vs. a cake?  I know you would present the cupcakes on a platter but how do you present them to the bride, groom, and their guests? 

Also, if I made cupcakes and the bride and groom want to taste a filling as well do I make half the cupcakes with filling or do I serve the filling on the side?

One more question, should I provide them with water to drink or something else?

14 replies
bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 5:48pm
post #2 of 15

AWell, I don't do wedding cakes but I can tell you about my wedding. When I went to the tasting, they did cupcakes. She had a list of flavors and I could choose up to 5 to try. She served me 5 jumbo cupcakes in those flavors on a plate. We all got water to drink. Personally, if I had wanted a filling, I would have wanted to try it in the cake instead of on the side. I don't think one is any more or less professional than the other.

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 6:15pm
post #3 of 15

AEveryone probably does it a bit differently. Depending on the size of the cake their ordering I'll let them chose 2-3 flavors, I ask they only bring a couple people along to the tastings (mainly because the more people, more opinions, the harder it is to make a decision, etc.) if they want more flavors I'll charge an additional price per flavor (I had a bride once want to try almost all the flavors on my menu-which is a lot!)

Anyway, you can do mini cakes, cupcakes, slices of cake, really it's up to you. As long as its presented nicely I don't think it matters. I typically make their samples with different buttercreams and fillings on the side so they can mix and match. If they aren't familiar with fondant I'll cover a cupcake or small mini cake in fondant, it just depends on how busy I am. I have fresh coffee and water. Some cake dummy's set up so they can see sizes and looks in person as well as a fondant covered styrofoam cake slice, so they have an idea of the cake portions they'll be serving so they can order sizes accordingly. If the bride comes with her mother because the groom can't make it I'll send something home.

You can do whatever you want, bct prefers cake filling already put together so if I was her that's how I would do it. I just like things on the side because there are so many combos and I let them have different flavors for each tier. There's really no wrong way to do it :)

bct806 Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 15

AAgreed!!! There is no right or wrong way. It is all about preferences. I had an idea in mind before I ordered. If I knew I wanted lemon curd filling but not sure whether strawberry or vanilla cake, maybe on the side. I like to taste things together to see how it will all be in the end. All depends. Smckinney...sending sme home is nice of you. My husband didn't go with me. My mother, grandmother, and sister did because my husband was about to deploy and was in Florida while I was living in VA. Good thing I knew his plain palate!

tink986201 Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 7:59pm
post #5 of 15

Thank you so much for your help. The bride knows what flavors she wants, chocolate and vanilla with buttercream frosting and strawberry filling. So do I present each of them with a cupcake with filling and one without? 

Smckinney07 Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 8:22pm
post #6 of 15

AThat's a pretty specific request, she sounds like she knows what she wants. I'd make each a chocolate with strawberry filling and BC as well as vanilla with filling and BC. You can also make a cupcake in each flavor for them to share without filling. But again, they seem to know what they want :)

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 8:34pm
post #7 of 15

AJust for my own curiousity....why are you doing a tasting for a bride who already knows what she wants? (Sorry if I'm being nosey)

Smckinney07 Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 8:48pm
post #8 of 15

A

Original message sent by bct806

Agreed!!! There is no right or wrong way. It is all about preferences. I had an idea in mind before I ordered. If I knew I wanted lemon curd filling but not sure whether strawberry or vanilla cake, maybe on the side. I like to taste things together to see how it will all be in the end. All depends. Smckinney...sending sme home is nice of you. My husband didn't go with me. My mother, grandmother, and sister did because my husband was about to deploy and was in Florida while I was living in VA. Good thing I knew his plain palate!

Thanks :) that's so nice that you had help & support from your family! I'm trying to plan my wedding lol my fiance is a big help but I don't have any siblings and my mother passed away a few years ago. Aside from the food I have no clue what I'm doing lol :)

I always save cupcakes when I make a batch in the freezer, but almost everytime I still have to make an extra flavor so I don't mind sending leftovers home or whatever. I tend to go overboard sometimes with my samples hehe and I do charge for tastings.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 10:47pm
post #9 of 15

My cakes have a very different texture than my cupcakes so I always do cake (plus, I'm starting to hate cupcakes and don't want to encourage them icon_wink.gif). I bake an 8" round and cut 3" circles. I can get 4 tastings from 1 8" layer. I provide 3 flavors of cake and 3 flavors of buttercream. Sometimes one or 2 more if I have them on hand.

The cake and buttercream are all in separate containers so they can mix and match. http://meganhardrephotography.com/cake/

Sweet_Stuff_Cakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Stuff_Cakery Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 2:36am
post #10 of 15

I make cupcakes. They are easier for me to make. I will usually do chocolate, vanilla, and red velvet. I give 2-3 cupcakes of each flavor cut into fourths. I also have several little cups of frostings, fillings, and fondant. Then the customer can mix and match which flavors they like. I have had a positive response from these tastings because they feel they are creating something special rather than picking from a list. I box up the extras and send them home. 

It is really what will work best for you. Fridays and Saturdays I sell cupcakes in my store since most people are picking up their cakes during that time anyway. It is not difficult to add a Saturday evening tasting with cupcakes I have on hand. Just make sure to present them nicely on a cake plate or serving tray. 

smittyditty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smittyditty Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 3:18am
post #11 of 15

Learning a LOT right now!

Elcee so fabulous as always. So my question is where do you get the icing containers? I see a small instrument to scoop it out with knife? spoon? where do you purchase those?

Do you find the cost of all these supplies out weighs the savings in small cake samples? I'm sure you charge right?

bct806 Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 4:10am
post #12 of 15

AMost places charge. Mine charged a fee unless I placed an order right then. I think $35 but since I ordered I don't really remember how much it was.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 4:22am
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyditty 

Learning a LOT right now!

Elcee so fabulous as always. So my question is where do you get the icing containers? I see a small instrument to scoop it out with knife? spoon? where do you purchase those?

Do you find the cost of all these supplies out weighs the savings in small cake samples? I'm sure you charge right?

Thanks,smittyditty!

I get the icing containers at Party City, they're for Jello shots. I got the tiny little forks at Safeway (40 for $2.99). The materials, including cake and bc cost less than $6. No, I don't normally charge. No one in my area does. BUT, I don't do the tastings for everyone, just for events more than 100 servings.

smittyditty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smittyditty Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 4:59pm
post #14 of 15

Ah thanks Elcee!!! I am charging but only because I am a home business and dont want creepy ppl at my house and as the law stands they have to come to my house.

I like your set up..so maybe I might try to incorporate that. Maybe come to my house to talk visuals then send home with the cake tasting box.

tink986201 Posted 21 Jul 2013 , 3:44am
post #15 of 15

AThank you everybody so much for your help, I ended up doing cupcakes because I had made some for a funeral today and had left overs.

morganchampagne I actually have no idea why, but the bride's sister works with my brother so I said yes.

Thank you again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%