Best Way To Deliver 200 Cupcakes?

Baking By ericaaiden Updated 28 Aug 2013 , 7:01pm by Johnica10

ericaaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaaiden Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 16

AHello everyone - I just received a 200 cupcake order for a wedding. How do you prepare for delivery? - do you pipe the cupcakes with buttercream at the reception? Do you pipe before you leave for the reception? Do you use the standard cupcake inserts & boxes? Any tips? :) thank you in advance!

15 replies
peggymaescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peggymaescakes Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 16

I`ve got the same thing this weekend. I`ve got regular boxes and going to just ice and take them I did this for a competition before and didn`t have any problems there is no place near where I live that sells the inserts.

liflores Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liflores Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 4:44pm
post #3 of 16

AHow about using the clam shaped plastic containers? I did Ann order also for about 150 cupcakes. I frosted them and delivered. Worked perfectly since the container is sturdy and can be placed on top of each other. They come in 12 and 24 cupcake holder.

cindyw41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindyw41 Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 2:25am
post #4 of 16

AWilton has new cup cake boxes that are very sturdy, they hold 48 cupcakes and come 2 to a pack. I love them and use them often. $5 per pack but you can get 40% or 50% off coupons for stores like michaels or Joann fabrics. Adding, ice them beforehand they fit in the boxes iced and ready to go. The boxes also come with lids.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 2:44am
post #5 of 16

If you are in business, you should pick a professional way to transport your cupcakes.  Plastic clamshell, boxes with inserts...some way that doesn't involve juggling cupcakes or them spilling all over the place. 

Now, if this is your business, you should be buying in bulk and adding the cost to your pricing. 

That said, I would pick the style that works well for your business and buy a commercial supply of these.  You will use them down the road.  For $100 - $150 bucks, you can get 100 boxes, tops and cupcake inserts.

The cost per box is minimal - you look professional.

sgodinez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgodinez Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 3:20am
post #6 of 16

I buy high domed cupcake boxes that hold either 6 or 12.  Check out wesellcoffee.com.  They've got the best prices on these that I've found. I put the decorated cupcakes into these boxes.  I 've never had a mishap.

I get fruit boxes from Costco.  They hold two of the 12 count boxes side by side.  Then I use shelf liner (the no skid kind) cut into strips.  I put one strip on top of each box and then put two more boxes on top.  I usually get three layers of cupcake boxes per fruit box.  It is the best way I've found to transport large quantities of cupcakes.  I've done two weddings with 450 cupcakes each this way.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 3:49am
post #7 of 16

Hello!  

There is no reason to use 15 or more fancy cupcake boxes with inserts just for you to transport cupcakes from your shop to a venue like that.  It's a waste of money on useless packaging that you then throw right away and honestly I can't imagine how many trips back and forth to the car bringing in box after box!  

I use under the bed storage boxes.  Each holds 86 cupcakes (at least the ones I have) and I pack them snugly so they don't tip over.  I fill the box with unfrosted cupcakes and pipe and decorate when they are in the box.  Cover with the lid (that snaps on and is mostly air tight) and I can stack one on top of another.  I have commercial space and a walk in, and the box fits perfectly on a shelf to chill.  The boxes fit perfect in the back of my van and I can stack 4 full boxes in my cargo hold.  Once at the venue I can load all 4 on my collapsing hand cart and I can bring them all into the venue at once.  Whatever doesn't fit in the storage box (say I can't fit another 20 or so) then I'll use my regular cupcake boxes.  

Good luck!

JohaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohaK Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 9:43pm
post #8 of 16

AInstead of throwing away the boxes you can just re use them

HeathersHeaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeathersHeaven Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 1:33pm
post #9 of 16

I use the clam shell high dome containers that I order from wesellcoffee.com also. They are the cheapest I have found. If I remember they are between .50-.75 each instead of boxes at 2.50-3 each at my local Michaels. I have done a few events with several hundred cupcakes & this has always been my method. Hint: push the cupcake up from the bottom to avoid damaging the frosting.

ttaunt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttaunt Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 2:12pm
post #10 of 16

Every year I make 400 cupcakes for live Nativity. I line beer boxes with non-skid shelf liner and cover with saran wrap. My cupcakes are decorated with crusted buttercream and makes the trip without a problem.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 2:42pm
post #11 of 16

I also use the hogh dome clamshells.  Easiest for me.

ttaunt Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 5:44pm
post #12 of 16

where can I buy clamshell containers ? I would like to try those as well.

HeathersHeaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeathersHeaven Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 6:18pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaunt 

where can I buy clamshell containers ? I would like to try those as well.

I get them from wesellcoffee.com the cheapest place I can find.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 7:51pm
post #14 of 16

Since www.wesellcoffee.com is mentioned three times in this thread, I'm going to say that where you should get them.

ttaunt Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 10:53pm
post #15 of 16

I agree,just ordered some.

Johnica10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Johnica10 Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 7:01pm
post #16 of 16

I also can not see wasting money on fancy boxes for delivery.... My husband customized a large 10 gallon rubbermaid container (the blue bins) with shelves inside them! I frost decorate etc before I go to the venue, each container holds about 100.  I also use the under the bed storage ones.  We used both methods for a food show, I had 800 cupcakes and we transported them in this matter and all went well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%