How Do I Make A Stand Up Rainbow Cake?

Decorating By mommyinaprilx2 Updated 20 Jul 2013 , 11:36am by arlenej

mommyinaprilx2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyinaprilx2 Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 2:08pm
post #1 of 5

AI have someone that wants a rainbow cake...standing up! In the picture like this one http://www.flickr.com/photos/courtneyscakes/3207232961/. I am lost on how to make it stand...Help!

4 replies
arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 2:57pm
post #2 of 5

I actually have a pan in that half-moon/semi-circle shape, but you can 1) bake a circle and cut it in half or 2)put a divider (like Batter Daddy Pan Separator ) in the pan so you get a half-moon shape. Attach dowels to (or THROUGH, which I prefer) your board and place the cake over them. Cut a fondant semi-circle to start the rainbow, then different length strips in rainbow colors to finish. Seems to me the bubbles are just fondant balls in varying sizes.

mommyinaprilx2 Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 3:18pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlenej 

I actually have a pan in that half-moon/semi-circle shape, but you can 1) bake a circle and cut it in half or 2)put a divider (like Batter Daddy Pan Separator ) in the pan so you get a half-moon shape. Attach dowels to (or THROUGH, which I prefer) your board and place the cake over them. Cut a fondant semi-circle to start the rainbow, then different length strips in rainbow colors to finish. Seems to me the bubbles are just fondant balls in varying sizes.

I am kinda confused. Dowel rods through??

mommyinaprilx2 Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 3:20pm
post #4 of 5

Also, would you ice two half cakes together and stand them up?

arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 20 Jul 2013 , 11:36am
post #5 of 5

1) Drill holes the diameter of your dowels in your board and put the dowels to stand in the holes. My drill bit is EXACTLY the same diameter as my dowels, so it's a really nice tight fit. 

2) It depends on how thick you'd want your cake. Here, pans are a standard 3'', so I wouldn't do two.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%