Square Wedding Cake

Business By channyb Updated 5 Aug 2013 , 6:01pm by channyb

channyb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
channyb Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 10:37pm
post #1 of 13

Hey it's my first time making a wedding cake. The customer wants a 3 layer square cake to feed 150 people how much should I charge?

12 replies
morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 10:44pm
post #2 of 13

AJust a fair warning you're about to get hit over the head with responses. I recommend doing a search on here for "pricing" and you'll ging all you need and more.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 11:02pm
post #3 of 13

Here are two sites that explain how to price a cake:

http://www.cakeboss.com/PricingGuideline.aspx

http://jasonkraftblog.wordpress.com/2013/05/14/the-magic-pricing-formula/

I agree that you can search on "pricing" or "cake price" (type that in the search box at the top of the page and click on the magnifying glass), then in the menu at the left, choose Threads. There's plenty of information here.

channyb Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 3:08am
post #4 of 13

Thanks!  I quoted them $300 and suffice it to say I have not heard back.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 5:46am
post #5 of 13

AThen my dear, you've dodged a headache. Because $300 is on the low end for wedding cakes of any kind.

channyb Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 4:20pm
post #6 of 13

I was trying to base my pricing on about $2 per serving cause they just wanted buttercream. They also wanted each layer to be a different flavor, but I guess that's what happens when you try to do a favor for a friend! Thanks for the info!

PS Love the cake calculators! icon_smile.gif

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 10:58pm
post #7 of 13

a freaking square cake is hard to frost and the squares are so difficult to set properly. unless you're getting your ingredients for free you should up your price

CupcakeMoma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeMoma Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 7:46pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by morganchampagne 

Then my dear, you've dodged a headache. Because $300 is on the low end for wedding cakes of any kind.

I would charge $462.00 for that cake, I charge $3.00 per serving.

Rosie93095 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie93095 Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 7:55pm
post #9 of 13

That would easily be a $750 cake. Shanter's response has some very good links for pricing in it. Once you see them, you will start to feel more comfortable with your pricing. Please post pictures when you are done:)

channyb Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 6:12pm
post #10 of 13

Thanks for the input!  She must have thought I was to expensive cause she never called back.

cakestomuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestomuch Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 6:38am
post #11 of 13

A

Original message sent by channyb

Hey it's my first time making a wedding cake. The customer wants a 3 layer square cake to feed 150 people how much should I charge?

At this point since she has not called back it is not a big deal. You said she wanted a 3 tired cake with different flavors. Were there going to be any decorations or just plain buttercream? Decorations take time so you need to charge for those also on top of your basic starting price. BTW 2.00 is super cheap. You really need to figure out your expenses before you quote a price or you will be working for free or dirt cheap. I will work for free the day that they do which of course will be never.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 7:56am
post #12 of 13

I wouldn't even go near it for less than $525. 

channyb Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 6:01pm
post #13 of 13

Thanks Y'all good to know!  She was gonna purchase fake flowers to put on the cake I believe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%