How To Attach Rhinestones To Buttercream Cake

Decorating By pamalbake Updated 25 Jul 2013 , 11:23pm by pamalbake

pamalbake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamalbake Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 2:22pm
post #1 of 6

I am going to do a rhinestone band around the bottom of my buttercream cake.

My plan is to attach them to a ribbon with double stick tape ( since they are on a web type fabric, like tile comes on.  Would I also attach the ribbon to the cake with piping gel?  It is a teal polyester ribbon on a white buttercream cake.

Thank you .

5 replies
ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 6

AI cut a fondant, gumpaste band the same width as the bling band and wrap it around the cake, attaching it with gumpaste glue. Then I attach the Bling band to the fondant band, also using gumpaste glue. This has worked really well for me.

RositaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RositaBakes Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 11:43pm
post #3 of 6

I put my ribbon on first followed by the bling, but I think you will need to attach the ribbon to the cake as well.

pamalbake Posted 23 Jul 2013 , 2:49am
post #4 of 6

Thank you everyone for your help.  It turned out just the way she wanted it. I ended up glueing the rhinestones to a ribbon and attaching the ribbon with piping gel- since it was going on a softer buttercream, I was afraid of using fondant.

AppleMark

sugabug1113 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugabug1113 Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 10:49pm
post #5 of 6

ACake is gorgeous!!! I want to attach a black ribbon on a cake but I want to attach some bling on the ribbon....did the buttercream grease soak through the ribbon? Please assist on how I can do this.

pamalbake Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 11:23pm
post #6 of 6

Athank you! I used a glue stick to attach the rhinestone band to it and then needed to touch up with a hot glue gun. Using the glue gun alone , I found the ribbon to be less flexible. I made a small test strip (my ribbon was a white polyester) and used a thin layer of piping gel on the back of the ribbon to attach to a small practice cake I had covered in buttercream . Worked beautifully . When I made my ribbon with the rhinestones, I stored it wrapped around something round to keep it flexible. I did not see any grease spots and my frosting was a white choc. cream cheese buttercream. Hope that helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%