Ganache Help

Decorating By Petals_and_Pearls_cakes Updated 17 Jul 2013 , 8:47pm by mcaulir

Petals_and_Pearls_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petals_and_Pearls_cakes Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 10:22pm
post #1 of 13

AHi guys So this is only my 2nd time using ganache I usually stick to bc, last time it was a bit to runny so this time I added less cream and left it in the fridge over night, now it's too firm to spread, will it soften when It comes back to room temp or should I microwave it again and as more cream? Thank you!

12 replies
manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 10:29pm
post #2 of 13

AIt will soften when it gets to room temp. What ratio did you use and what kind of chocolate?

Petals_and_Pearls_cakes Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 10:53pm
post #3 of 13

AThanks, I used a 1:1 ratio but then subtracted maybe 1/2 cup to 1 cup of cream (this is in a large quantity of ganache I've made a massive bowl) I used good quality high cocoa content dark chocolate and also added some milk chocolate to slightly curt the richness

manddi Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 2:47am
post #4 of 13

AWell there's your problem. You need a 2:1 chocolate to cream ratio with dark and semi sweet chocolate. Milk and white chocolate needs a 3:1 chocolate to cream ratio. Make sure you weigh your ingredients. It should be kinda like softish creamy peanut butter.

Petals_and_Pearls_cakes Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 2:54am
post #5 of 13

ABut if I used 2:1 ratio wouldn't it be even thicker? It was too thick not too thin. Anyways it's come to room temp now and is actually pretty perfect! It was hard as a rock when I got it out of the fridge so I was panicking lol

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 7:18am
post #6 of 13

2:1 dark chocolate to cream. By weight, not by volume.

justinaud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justinaud Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 8:48am
post #7 of 13

My cake was iced with Ganach 3:1 ration, I was able to cover it with fondant and it was one merry moment until I started smoothening it and the cake began to sag -  for some reason  ganache underneath the fondant  was melting or began to fall off the side and gather in the end of the cake- I am now sitting with a sagging cake wondering what to do

I am in hot and humid place but yes I did let the ganached cake sit on the counter for abt 8 hrs to prevent condensation

any help

mcaulir Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 10:30am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinaud 

My cake was iced with Ganach 3:1 ration, I was able to cover it with fondant and it was one merry moment until I started smoothening it and the cake began to sag -  for some reason  ganache underneath the fondant  was melting or began to fall off the side and gather in the end of the cake- I am now sitting with a sagging cake wondering what to do

I am in hot and humid place but yes I did let the ganached cake sit on the counter for abt 8 hrs to prevent condensation

any help

You can start a new thread with you own question so you don't ask the same thing on 5 different old threads.

How did you make your ganache?

How long did you let your ganache set on the cake before covering with fondant?

justinaud Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 4:57pm
post #9 of 13

3 part chocolate and 1 part cream

I let it set over night in the fridge

manddi Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 6:12pm
post #10 of 13

A

Original message sent by justinaud

3 part chocolate and 1 part cream I let it set over night in the fridge

Milk Chocolate? Dark Chocolate? White Chocolate? Semi sweet chocolate?

mcaulir Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 5:40am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinaud 

3 part chocolate and 1 part cream

I let it set over night in the fridge

No wonder it was too runny. If you put chocolate and cream in the fridge overnight without doing anything else to it, the cream will run straight out of the bowl again in the morning. Honestly.

Now, if you'd like some help, please tell us how you made your ganache.

What, exactly, were the ingredients. What kind of chocolate, what kind of cream, and what measurements did you use to measure them. Not parts - measurements. cups or ounces, or grams, or tablespoons or something.

Then what did you do with the chocolate and cream?

Then, how long did you let the cake sit with the ganache on it before you put the fondant on. In minutes, or hours or something.

justinaud Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 2:05pm
post #12 of 13

200 ml Heavy Cream + 600 Grms Chocolate - Dark Choclate

heated the cream till it just reached boiling point then added it to the pieced of chocolate

I let the chocolate sit in the cream till it melted - then mixed it and put it into the fridge

the next day took it out of the fridge allowed it to come to room temp, and put the ganache on the cake and - put the cake back into the freezer again it sat overnight - (about 9 hrs)

when I took the ganached cake out there were droplets of water - of course due to condensation so I had to wait till the water disappeared ( this took abt 6 hrs) then i cover it with fondant

it was fine when I started smoothening it with a fondant smoothener the ganached melted

mcaulir Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 8:47pm
post #13 of 13

OK. You don't need to put your ganache in the fridge to set. Cover it and let it sit at room temperature until it sets - this is ususally overnight. At this point, at room temperature, it should be at least as firm as peanut butter - I like mine to be firmer. If yours was cold, and still spreadable, that was probably your problem.

There's also no need to put your cake in the fridge or freezer after putting ganache on the cake. Let it sit out at room temp until the ganache is firm and dry to touch. Many people leave the cake overnight, but depending on the consistency of your ganache, it might only take an hour or two.

I suspect that your ganache was too runny, firmed up in the freezer, then melted when it warmed up.

Ganache ratios are very dependant on all sorts of things including the kind of ingredients and the weather - especially the weather. If you live somehere hot or humid, or your house is hot or humid, you will need to use significantly more chocolate - closer to a 4:1 ratio - to get it to be firm enough.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%