Fondant And Humidit Help!!

Decorating By Viviloops Updated 16 Jul 2013 , 6:05pm by vtanderson

Viviloops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Viviloops Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 7:31pm
post #1 of 8

Hello everyone! hope one of you can help me!

I am doing a cake for a friend (her sister's bday) and, this week the humidity is going to be super high! I dont have an AC at home and Im afraid the fondant is just not going to be good! I have to do a bow that needs to dry for a few days and Im scared is going to melt!

I will do my own fondant for one part (I need black fondant and I rather do it myself) the rest I was thinking about foing it myself as well but I have some left over for a Duff sample I got, would it be better to use that one? would there be any difference between using MMF and the comercial one in humid weather?

Any ideas on what can I do to have a nice fondat? The other thing is that I have to deliver it on friday! 

Pleaseeee help! 

7 replies
vtanderson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtanderson Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 8

I'm not a pro with MMF but anytime I've used MMF and it was humid, it got really sticky.  

Michelle fosters fondant recipe has had really great reviews if your dead set on doing it yourself, a good friend of mine swears by it and we al live right on the lake and it gets really humid here. 

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 15 Jul 2013 , 8:45pm
post #3 of 8

I wouldn't use mmf in high humidity. I use MMF in the winter, but it's really humid here during the summer and I don't use it at all, it gets really sticky and sags if it is super humid. Save yourself some anxiety and use the Duff in high humidity!!

Viviloops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Viviloops Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 5:35pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you so much for our notes!

I wont use MMF for the decorations and will use my Duff for part of the covering... Im doing a Pink Zebra cake (I know how original!, but I was asked for that) I have never dye withe fondant to black so I wanna give it a try and do a small amount of black MMF and since it is not going to completely cover the cake, Im crossing my fingers and hope it doesnt ruin the rest!

Thank you so much !

CakeRae80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRae80 Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 5:54pm
post #5 of 8

I just made "straws" out of MMF, they were going in cupcakes that I did so it looked like a drink.  I did them on Sunday afternoon and let them sit the rest of Sunday and most of yesterday.  I put them in my cupcakes last night, and today they are droopy... I have AC in my house and it's been very hot and humid outside where I'm at.  MMF takes forever to dry out (more so than the store bought) and with no AC and the temperatures hot, I'm afraid you'll have issues with anything MMF.  P.S. I know I should have given my "straws" more time to dry but they were an after thought, so I didn't have the ample drying time that I needed.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 5:59pm
post #6 of 8

AIf you have the duff one id use it. I make MMF and I've never had a problem even in humidity. However I have central air in every single part of my house. & Houston it's humid alllllllllll the time even some "Winter" days.

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 6:05pm
post #7 of 8

i saw a video recently, where the caker put her fondant decos in a cardboard box with some baking soda and put it in the fridge. her rationale was that the cardboard and baking soda would absorb the humidity, and despite what some think, the refrigerator reduces humidity as well. 

you might want to add some gum paste or use all gum paste, which is now available at michaels.

vtanderson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtanderson Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 6:05pm
post #8 of 8

AI'd get the fondant in black... Dying mmf black will take a lot of color and will inevitably run if there is any humidity. I wouldn't chance it especially with black on a lighter colour... Let us know how it turns out too!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%